b161 - Only get "YoWindow - Presented in Stereo"

Early builds of YoWindow for Windows
DWC121
Name: DWC

b161 - Only get "YoWindow - Presented in Stereo"

Post by DWC121 »

Greetings - I'm on a Win 7 box. I just downloaded and installed "yosetup_rc.exe" (11,910KB) from the RC page. It was RC b161.

When I launch YoWindow the only thing that appears is a black screen that says "YoWindow / Presented in Stereo" (See attached jpg file). Zone Alarm popped a message up after about 2 minutes. I don't remember exactly what the message said, other than YoWindow was trying to connect to the Internet. I then clicked on the Zone Alarm box that said YoWindow could connect to the internet. After 4-5 minutes the black YoWindow screen has not changed. Any idea what I need to do?

Thanks
Attachments
YoWindow Stuck.jpg
DWC121

Re: b161 - Only get "YoWindow - Presented in Stereo"

Post by DWC121 »

For what it's worth, I right clicked on YoWindow on my desktop and selected "Troubleshoot compatibility". I ran the troubleshooter. It said errors were detected. None of the suggested fixes from Microsoft worked. Attached is a screenshot of the troubleshooter report (The scroll-bar looks weird in the jpg because I had to copy and paste 3 screenshots together to get the complete report).
Attachments
YoWindow Incompat.jpg
FvE
Name: Fred

Post by FvE »

Hi,

Just out of curiosity: Are you able to try and run it with zone alarm disabled?
I was thinking that YoWindow somehow isn't able to connect to the internet.
Dispite the message that it can.

Also Firewall and or any (other) Antivirus program may block this.

I hope this helps.
Fred
DWC121

Post by DWC121 »

Hi Fred, thanks for the reply.

I disabled ZoneAlarm and ran YoWindow, but I still got only the "black" screen I mentioned about. My ZoneAlarm is set to act as a Firewall only (It is ZoneAlarm Pro, version 10.2.074.000). I do use Antivirus and Anti-spyware software, but I hope those are not blocking YoWindow.

I did receive a forum message to send a debug file to Pasha. I'll see where that leads me.

Thanks
DWC121

Post by DWC121 »

FIXED (I hope).

I removed YoWindow and reinstalled it. When I ran the exe to open YoWindow, one of my security programs (Webroot's SecureAnywhere) gave me a warning. It said the program was from an untrusted source, may contain a trojan, and wants to connect to the Internet. It gave me three options: (A) block, (B) allow once, or (C) always allow. I must have clicked on "allow once" when I installed the rc version a day or two ago. This time I paid close attention and clicked on "always allow" and the program eventually opened to the village scene. SecureAnywhere has YoWindow set to monitor the activity of the program, so we'll see what happens. This time, ZoneAlarm did not raise an issue with YoWindow.

From what I read elsewhere in the forum, OpenCandy is not included in the rc version. I had many problems with OpenCandy on another PC. Even though OpenCandy is mentioned in the program's eula, I hope it is not included. Since SecureAnywhere gave me a warning, I wonder if OpenCandy IS included. Only time will tell.
par
Name: Pasha

Post by par »

David, thank you so much for the wonderful reporting!
I'm happy YoWindow was not the source of the problem this time.
I'm going to release it finally!
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image
DWC121

Post by DWC121 »

par wrote:I'm going to release it finally!
That's great !! :Yahoo!: I hope you have a few minutes first to make sure the eula in the download is correct (it mentions OpenCandy), whereas the [license] agreement within the b161 makes no mention of OpenCandy. Some people like me actually READ those eulas :roll: . It stopped me from continuing the download last month. I had the free version of YoWindow about 6 years ago and I liked it very much. :D . Without the OpenCandy (problems with OpenCandy before), I might purchase the full version now since I can splurge on things.

- (side note) 20 years ago I bought a $350.00(US) film camera. The clerk said I could save 20% by applying for a credit card. I said "ok". The cash register printed out a credit card agreement (5 pages, 8-1/2" x 14", in small print). He said to sign it. I said I have to READ it before I sign it. It took me 30 minutes to read it. Mean while, the clerk lost a few large $$ sales because the clerk needed the agreement to either cancel the sale in the cash register, or to process the sale.
par
Name: Pasha

Post by par »

Yeah, these license agreements make life harder.
I have updated the license agreement inside YoWindow, it will be available in the next RC.
Thank you for the help and the story!
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image