Widget in Wordpress giving wrong city

YoWindow widget Questions, Suggestions and Bugs
qwertz
Name: John Coldwell

Widget in Wordpress giving wrong city

Post by qwertz »

I installed the widget on my Wordpress blog a few weeks ago to show Vancouver BC, Canada with the airport theme. All of a sudden today it shows New York city with the country theme, so I deleted the code and re-installed new code. It still shows New York city!

I had/have the same problem with the Google Chrome extension which shows New York city and not my hometown of Linz, Austria. It has never worked.

And yet, I can see YoWindow on my desktop and as a screensaver with no problem.

You can see my website here: www.lighthousememories.ca

Thanks for any help as it was so cool to see it on my website.

John
countryroads
Name: Marty

Re: Widget in Wordpress giving wrong city

Post by countryroads »

Hi John,

You need to go back to the Widget Creation page http://yowindow.com/weatherwidget.php and create your widget again. When you get down to step 8, you can now select WordPress and you will get the code that is needed for WordPress.

Replace your existing code with the WordPress code and your widget should be working.

If you still have problems, please let us know.

Marty

P.S. I tried Linz, Austria on the Google Chrome extension and I was able to see it.
qwertz

Post by qwertz »

Thanks for your reply. I did try the Wordpress extension first - it didn't work either - it just put all the HTML code on my website in place of the window. That is why I tried the other download, which did work in that it gave a window, but only gave the default "New York city". I did notice in the downloaded code that was supplied and that I have on my website now, that the dimensions were wrong in one spot - it had 15 instead of 150 for height. I will install the Wordpress code now and you will see what i mean about it just printing the code on the screen - very messy! :)

What I can't figure out is that it was working for one month and then just suddenly quit. It's like something was changed in the YoWindow website. I notice the new code is different from the old. i still have a copy of the old working code, which doesn't work now.

My Google Chrome extension has never worked - not even once - it just sits at the Location screen and says "wait please". I can wait for days and nothing happens. It does not load the cities.

John www.lighthousememories.ca
qwertz

Post by qwertz »

OK, I found one of the problems and solved it. The widget on my webpage www.lighthousememories.ca was being affected by a Wordpress Plug-in called ShortCodes Ultimate. Removed that and the YoWindow came back properly, BUT ONLY the "any website or blog" window - the "Wordpress" code would not work at all. This may not be for self-hosted Wordpress sites (Wordpress.org) but may be for the Wordpress.com sites only.

As far as the Google Chrome YoWindow - still not working ever!
countryroads
Name: Marty

Post by countryroads »

Hi John,

I'm glad you have your widget working again.

Could you let us know the location you are trying to view on Google Chrome Extension. I would like to try it out and also see if there is a problem with the Metar station.

How have you setup the locations on the extension? I right-click on the icon and then click on options to add my locations. I am having no problem viewing my locations.

Good work on researching your widget problem :good:

Marty
par
Name: Pasha

Post by par »

Hey, John, sorry for the delay.

I have given an answer to your problem with Chrome in this post, please let me know if the solution I have proposed is working for you.
http://yowindow.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3630

I did not think about that self hosted Wordpress sites behave in a different manner.
You are absolutely right, the Wordpress widget option would not work for self hosted page.
Thank you for finding this flaw.

I hope soon I will write a tutorial explainig how to add our widget to Wordpress.
Also I need to explain to our visitors that the Wordpress choice on the widget page is only for Wordpress hosted sites.

Also thank you for letting me know about ShortCodes side effect.
I will mention it in the upcoming tutorial.
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image
qwertz

Post by qwertz »

Hi Par,

As I said in another place in the YoWindow Forum, I finally got the YoWindow to work in this version of Google Chrome 14.0.835.186 m. It doesn't say Beta, but it could be. Anyways, the problem turned out to be a Google Chrome Extension. I turned them all off, installed YoWindow again, and then re-installed some of my more useful and long-running extensions and YoWindow ran fine. So-o-o-o, I am assuming it is a plug-in causing the problems and when I find the guilty one I will let everyone know. Thanks for all the help.