Chrome edition: Forecast Panel and Locations List

par
Name: Pasha

Chrome edition: Forecast Panel and Locations List

Post by par »

Once again breaking news ;)

We have added two things at once - Forecast Panel and Locations List.
You can download the new YoWindow for Chrome here
http://yowindow.com/toolbar/yowindow.crx

1. Forecast Panel changes
- Since today's weather is already displayed in the time-bar we have made a decision to simplify Forecast Panel look.
We have removed "today" tile.
Now forecast panel always starts with Tomorrow.

- Day tiles are always titled with day name, no "Tomorrow" label.
This is to make the tiles a little narrower, to be able to fit many tiles between left window border and Inspector.
In YoWindow 2.0 Forecast Panel sometimes overlaps with Inspector.

2. Locations List
Nothing new in particular, but you can switch between locations now!
Just pay attention that after you close YoWindow and then open it back YoWindow rolls back to your home.
Like opening YoWindow from Windows tray - it also resets back to the home.

We have a wonderful feature in hand related to Locations List.
But we will disclose it later on, when we start opening desktop edition.

So, guys, how do you like it now?
fp_locations_list.jpg
fp_locations_list.jpg (82.11 KiB) Viewed 10078 times
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image
countryroads
Name: Marty

Re: Chrome edition: Forecast Panel and Locations List

Post by countryroads »

Hi Pasha,

After looking at the Desktop and the Widget for so many months, it feels a little strange not seeing today at 3:00 or 15:00 as the first tile of forecast. But the Time Bar does a very good forecast of today. It will not take that long to get used to it.

Changing the location worked as you described. I was able to change the location, close Google Chrome, and when I came back into it my home location is what displayed.

Since YoWindow Chrome is in Beta, I know you have a long list of items to add and this is probably one of them. Having been a COBOL programmer, I had to deal with the 24 hour clock. But in the USA, we go by the 12 hour clock. The Time Bar is not an issue for me. But for someone in the USA that does not understand the 24 hour clock, are you going to have the option of displaying the 12 hour AM/PM clock?

So far, everything looks good. Now, when I am tracking down lightning, I do not have to set that location as my home location. :Yahoo!:

Great Job :good:

Marty
FvE
Name: Fred

Post by FvE »

Hi Pasha,

Looking a bit unusual indeed, but nevertheless splendid!
Getting better all the time :good:

Thanks.
Fred
countryroads

Post by countryroads »

Hi Pasha,

I have been testing again. The picture below occurred on my WinXP. During one session, every time I switched from USA to Europe, the first tile looks like a mixture of days. When I clicked on the arrow to get more days, the first tile straightened itself out.
YoWindow Chrome WinXP switching locations.JPG
YoWindow Chrome WinXP switching locations.JPG (33.32 KiB) Viewed 10048 times
I gave my XP a break and tried to get my Win7 to do the same. It would not happen on the Win7. I then went back to the XP and have not been able to recreate this as of yet.

What I can get both WinXP and Win7 to do is - Switch locations between USA and Europe enough times and the following starts to happen.
It is Tuesday in Ohio USA and tomorrow is Wednesday - It is Wednesday in Europe and tomorrow is Thursday. This is what it should be. When I switch enough times the tomorrow tile in USA shows Wednesday - switch to Europe and it shows Wednesday - switch back to USA and it shows Thursday - now I switch to another location in the USA and it shows Wednesday as it should - switch back to my location in the USA and it shows Wednesday.

I am going to keep testing to see if I can recreate the above picture and let you know what situation caused it.

Don't you just enjoy my indepth testing? Sorry :(

Marty
countryroads

Post by countryroads »

Hi Pasha,

I have really been busy testing tonight! Look at the previous picture that I sent you with the mixed up first tile. There is a gray cloud close to the ground between the house and the tree. I could not relate to this at first.

Remember the Growing Tree? This is Smoke from the chimney of the House that grows into a cloud!
YoWindow Chrome Growing Smoke from the House.JPG
YoWindow Chrome Growing Smoke from the House.JPG (37.92 KiB) Viewed 10043 times
This is happening on both my WinXP and my Win7. On my WinXP, the smoke cloud keeps growing. On my Win7, the smoke cloud grows and then disappears. One time it kept growing on my Win7. So we now have a Growing Cloud of Smoke!

I was able to recreate the first tile with a mixture of days. It is like 1 time out of 10 that it will happen. 9 times out of 10, you will get what I previously described while changing locations between USA and Europe.

Enough testing for tonight.

Marty
ikarus1969

Post by ikarus1969 »

The mixture of days Marty has desribed is a display of "today" and "tomorrow" (abbreviated of course) on the first tile of the forecast panel.
It shows "tod" and "tom" together with the related data on the same position.
In his second screenshot tiles for "today" and "tomorrow" are missing completely.
»Man is impressive. In a universe full of untold secrets he has invented boredom.«
par

Post by par »

Hey, guys!

Reinhart, actually it was a mixture of the first and the last days.
The last day was not layed out properly.
By a coincidence the name of today and the last day were the same.
Computer errors are tricky :)
But anyway, thanks for trying to help me.

Fred, thanks!

Marty, thank you so much for the comprehensive testing.
Not only you showed me the bugs, but you have hint me to find a couple more myself :)
I think I have fixed all the problems you have mentioned, including disobedient smoke.

I wonder if you to find the old or new problems in the new build I have just uploaded.

Image Image Image
countryroads

Post by countryroads »

Hi Pasha,

My WinXPs are scanning right now so I will test on XP later. I have tested on my Win7. I am switching locations between Ohio USA and Sydney, Australia. The tomorrow tile in the forecast panel is showing exactly what it should show. It looks like that issue is fixed. :Yahoo!:

The Growing Cloud of Smoke or the Disobedient Smoke is still there and it is continuing to grow now even on my Win7. :(

This isn't really a problem. It is something that I have just thought about. You have removed the today tile from the forecast panel because the Time Bar shows today's information. When I click on a future day's tile, the Time Bar shows that future day's information. At that specific time, today is not shown at all. You have to click on LIVE to get back today's information. The old forecast panel always showed today. Is there a way to show today somewhere on the screen when looking at a future forecast?

Like I said, the above is not a problem. It is just something that I have been thinking about.

I can do more testing once my XPs stop scanning.

Thank you for fixing the switching of locations. :Yahoo!:

Marty
par

Post by par »

Thank you, Marty!

1. Can you tell me how to repeat the problem with smoke, I cannot find a way to do this.
I think this is an error and it must be fixed.

2. I wonder why do you want to see Today tile when you are looking at the weather forecast?

Image Image Image
countryroads

Post by countryroads »

Hi Pasha,

Showing today when in the future is just a carry-over from the old forecast panel. Clicking on LIVE gets all the information back. It is just something that we have been used to. So as I said before, it is not a problem.

The Growing Cloud can be recreated by switching locations or clicking on future day tiles in the forecast panel. The cloud only grows that first time. After it disappears, the next smoke from the chimney remains normal. Atleast, I have not watched it any longer to see if more Growing Smoke occurs.

I hope you get to see a Growing Cloud of Smoke.

Marty