Questions, suggestions, error reports related to Android edition of YoWindow
countryroads
Name: Marty

Re: 0.4

Post by countryroads »

Hi Pasha,

I can adlib on what Fred has posted about the wallpaper.

I reverted back to my wallpaper of the paper forest on my Kyoceras.
With YoWindow wallpaper and more than one widget, the temperature and sky condition loaded very slowly.
For atleast 30 seconds, there was nothing but a white screen and then the temperature and sky finally loaded.

When I removed all but one widget and reverted back to the (live) paper forest, the temperature and sky condition loaded right away.

I have not been able to test with my Samsung 2.3.6 yet.
I click the install button from TestFlight and the home screen is returned.
I never get the load screen.

:(
Marty
dramr
Name: Amr Arafa

Post by dramr »

I disconnected the internet for several hours and then connect again.
The temp in the app took a while to update, and the temp in the widget took 10 mins to update. I don't know if you set it to update every preset time or is it suppose to update live

Galaxy s4 v.4.2.2
par
Name: Pasha

Post by par »

stschwar wrote:Sorry I was too fast, the widget made its temperature update. But half an hour later the wallpaper crashed (only a black desktop) :sorry:
What is your device?
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image
par

Post by par »

tiggertiffin87 wrote:Suggestion:

United States is sorted by state before you get down to the cities. It would make sense if Canada was the same way, was sorted by Province before cities were shown. It goes much faster to find your city.
I hope we will add state breakdown for Canada in all YoWindow versions soon.
Thanks!

Image Image Image
par

Post by par »

tiggertiffin87 wrote:For the widget, I'm no longer seeing a temperature. Samsung Galaxy S4
Can you send a screen shot?

Image Image Image
par

Post by par »

Hey, Herman!

4. That's the way it expected to work now - just rotating weather icon on wallpaper, so it works correctly on your device.
5. You can add several widgets on Android. I think you just add YoWindow widget the same way you would add other widgets...

Image Image Image
par

Post by par »

s-andrew wrote:Hours after: live wallpaper changed into bluescreen without any animation. Same situation inside the app too. My place and temperature are showing correctly but there is simple blue screen instead clouds and sun.
After I changed live wallpaper to another picture and then returned all back, yowindow wallpaper started to work correctly.

Huawei Mediapad.

Через несколько часов работы ситуация следующая: вместо анимированных обоев - синий фон без анимации. Программа продолжает работу, но без вращающейся картинки. Та же ситуация и внутри приложения. Местоположение и температуру показывает верно, но вместо тучек и солнышка - статичная синяя картинка. После замены обоев на другие и последующего возврата к живым обоям yowindow - все работает нормально.
Спасибо!
Какое у вас устройство?

Image Image Image
par

Post by par »

FvE wrote:Hi Pasha,

Widgets do work now.
I can change between places and it always chooses the right location.
Changing from widget to app or vice versa however remembers the last location.
So it doesn't switch as it should.

I've switched the wallpaper off.
I have the feeling it is very battery consuming.
I don't know if it's YoWindow specific or a live wallpaper problem in general.

Fred
HTC One X, 4.2.2. ICS

Thanks, Fred!
Yes, I know about this problem with the widget.
It is only visible if you launch YoWindow first time by tapping the widget.
If you launch YoWindow as an application and then tap the widgets, the location selection works correctly.
I have added this case to "Known issues" document.

Image Image Image
par

Post by par »

Leif wrote:Looks even worse on my Nexus 7 here. This time version 0.4.
Leif at this point the widget content layout does not matter.
It's just a temporary output that indicates weather updates.

But anyway, thanks for reporting.

Image Image Image
par

Post by par »

Max, glad to read you!

Samsung Galaxy Note / Android 4.0.4:
1. Location auto-detection. YoWindow takes current coordinates from Android API and picks the closest known (to YoWindow) place.
Probably I need to use Android Location API with care.
I think this one is important, thank you.

4. This is expected temporary behavior, so ok.

5. All widgets are expected to display the temperature in the same unit as the main app.
I definitely need to debug widget implementation.
Very good test with F/C.

LG GT540 / Android 2.3.7:
I have added Wallpaper crash to our known issues. Several other people witnessed it. Need time to investigate the origin of that one.
No, don't think I need more logcat now.
I will add some memory tracking in the next build. Would would help if you to run YoWindow again on your LG next time.

Max, thank you so much.
Admire your professional skills :)

[UPDATE]
Wow! I'm glad YoWindow runs on Android 2.3

max wrote:Hi Pasha,

I tested v0.4 on two phones.

Samsung Galaxy Note / Android 4.0.4:
1. Location detected as Orekhovo. Well, I was there two days ago, but I'm in St.Petersburg now. :shock:
Other apps detect my location correctly. Tried force stop / clear data / restart YoWindow a few times, same results.
In phone settings, all location related features are turned on: Google location service, GPS satellites, Use sensor aiding.
2. The app shows °F when language is English(US) and °C when Russian or Suomi. As expected. :good:
3. Locations get added and removed without a problem. The location list persists after the app's forced close and restart. :good:
4. The wallpaper works fine, except it doesn't show temperature, as one might expect.
5. Widgets lag behind the app when it comes to temperature update. :no:
Another issue is that a widget keeps the units that were actual when it was added, which may get out of sync with the app. Example: I added a widget when the app was using the Fahrenheit scale. Then I cleared the app's data and changed the language, causing the app to switch to Celsius. I then added another widget. Now I have two widgets using different temperature scales. Also, when I tap on the one with °F, it opens that location in the app showing the temperature in °C. :no:
6. The app handles rotation very well. No issue here. :good:

LG GT540 / Android 2.3.7:
1. Location detected correctly, as St.Petersburg. Unlike my other phone, this one hasn't moved anywhere recently.
2.-6. Other tests had the same results as on my other phone.
The only difference I noticed was that the wallpaper crashed from time to time - mainly, after rotating or after unlocking the phone. It was automatically restarted though, so it didn't look too bad. When it crashed, the wallpaper disappeared for 5-15 seconds, then appeared again. That phone has little memory, which is the most likely cause. Looking into logcat, I see

Code: Select all

W/WallpaperService( 1333): Wallpaper service gone: ComponentInfo{yo.app/yo.wallpaper.YoWallpaperService}
I/WindowManager( 1333): WIN DEATH: Window{4052bde8 yo.wallpaper.YoWallpaperService paused=false}
preceded with

Code: Select all

I/ActivityManager( 1333): Process com.google.process.location (pid 11386) has died.
W/ActivityManager( 1333): Scheduling restart of crashed service com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.location.internal.server.GoogleLocationService in 14309ms
I/ActivityManager( 1333): Low Memory: No more background processes.
(Let me know if you need more detailed logcat - I have it).

Image Image Image