Geolocation & free weather widget

YoWindow widget Questions, Suggestions and Bugs
xprt007

Geolocation & free weather widget

Post by xprt007 »

Hi

I saw your free weather widget, which I would like to put on a Wordpress-based site.
I noted, my current location on the widget-configuration page was correctly located, however, the site does not have content where MY location is relevant. I want the weather of the site guest to be shown.
It seems when configuring the widget, you have to add your location details & so on, which makes me assume the weather of MY location is what will be shown.

Does the FREE weather widget offer the possibility NOT to show only my location's weather, but that of guests, wherever they are?
If so, how do you configure this? Would it mean in that case in the configured widget code, my location details are not relevant?

Thank you in advance.
countryroads
Name: Marty

Re: Geolocation & free weather widget

Post by countryroads »

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17053#p46319

Please see the above topic.
You can use an IP locator instead of the geonamesid.

If you want to see how this works, look at my World Weather.
Click on World of YoWindow F or C.

Here is another version of the Widget to look at.
http://yowindow.com/example/lc_widget.php

Have fun.

Marty
xprt007

Post by xprt007 »

Hi

Thank you for the response.
Apparently, yesterday when I tried to implement your solution, the code did not work on the Wordpress web site & on my PC and was only rendering some overlapping unreadable lines of text :( . Before reporting the matter today, I went to get fresh code again & tried it out. This time it worked. I think the code generated yesterday if I compare it at least had no "param" elements in it. ;)

Anyway, I used the "IP locator instead of the geonamesid" , but what do I use for the "location_name=Somewhere" so the result prints the corresponding location name?

Thank you in advance & for the great widget. :)
countryroads

Post by countryroads »

On Sunday, there was a problem with the YoWindow server.
That is why the code did not work.

I never use the location_name=.
Its original purpose was to override the actual town name with a name of your choice.

On the IP locator version, remove the following.
&location_name=SomeName

Now the IP locator version will be using the actual town name.

Have fun.

Marty
xprt007

Post by xprt007 »

Hi

That solved the problem. :Yahoo!:

One more question ....

I also implemented => http://yowindow.com/example/lc_widget.php ... with the help of the used Wordpress theme author. Is it possible to make that content responsive? Probably some challenges with flash, but if doable, it would be worth considering & great, especially bearing in mind that Google is getting serious with non-mobile friendly sites.

The result is otherwise absolutely fabulous.

Many thanks & best regards!
countryroads

Post by countryroads »

Hi,

I do not understand your question about responsive.
Could you give us a link to your site?

Thank you in advance.

Marty
xprt007

Post by xprt007 »

Hi

I gradually reduced the browser window of the weather page in 5 browsers to see what It would look like in gadgets (smartphones, tablets ...) with lower resolutions, I assume.
The first 2 show the results in Firefox & IE 11, where the weather window width is maintained, needing to scroll to the right see all content.
In Chrome, Opera & Safari (not shown), the weather window gets automatically resized. In Opera, flash content not shown because of an outdated flash player, but I think the screenshot shows it would probably get resized.
On the Google mobile friendliness test page http://bit.ly/1DlbPSq passes the test.
I was referring to the flash content area getting resized in Firefox & IE, which are quite widely used. I hope I have not mixed up issues. ;)

Regards
FvE
Name: Fred

Post by FvE »

Hi,

There have been discussions about resizing windows in IE together with Wordpress before.
Unfortunately this hasn't lead to any solution, sorry.

Fred