New landscape - American Town

No news - good news
countryroads
Name: Marty

Re: New landscape - American Town

Post by countryroads »

Hi Bev,

I live in Ohio and the cars are being driven on the correct side of the street.
They are being driven on the right side of the street.

Marty
Bev
Name: Bev

Post by Bev »

Hi Marty,
Quite strange because the cars are being driven on the left side when I use this landscape option. I'd post a screenshot, but Photobucket is offline at the moment.
Bev
Name: Bev

Post by Bev »

Okay, I see what's happening here. I used to live in NJ but now live in the UK. Homesickness made this landscape option appealing, but because it's showing UK weather, it's oddly also showing UK driving, which is unfortunate since I want to see Americana, not an American themed UK city! lol I guess I'll have to watch NJ weather instead of the local weather.

Oh - and I don't know if you're still looking for names, but Washington might be good - first president and most common place name in the states. Or if you want a fictional name, Weatherville or Weathertown. (Weatherfield is the fictional town in the UK soap opera, Coronation Street. That just might make the cars drive on the wrong side of the road permanently! lol)
nicole
Name: nicole

Post by nicole »

I would add some shaft which moves according to the wind , also the traffic light and Pedestrian crossings :good: :good: :good:
armorbeast
Name: Steven

Post by armorbeast »

Would love to see a Haunted version of this for Halloween
nicole
Name: nicole

Post by nicole »

Missing the light poles road, and also the movement on the part of the Trees, plants with the blowing of the wind. When pedestrians cross the pedestrian crossing the machines, motion do not stop. missing children who in the morning go to school. Add semaphores. I hope that will solve these problems thanks Please answer thanks
armorbeast

Post by armorbeast »

Ok, my review is that it seems too much like the Town theme. Why are the school buses out all the time? The flag on the flagpole should be animated.

In Florence Alabama, they have jazz festivals and street activities in between the buildings where they close off the side streets to allow this. They also have a beautiful city cemetery in town and annual events like their Renaissance festival. Small town America would also have a tractor coming through town once in a while, a garbage truck, postal carriers, a gas station, county work vehicles, a public swimming pool... a lot of variations the Town theme doesn't have.

Small town America is noted for a lot of things like hunting, fishing and a lot of festivals either dedicated to the past or things like car shows and rodeos.

What this theme needs is something that sets it apart from the Town theme other than a hamburger stand such as maybe you can click a button on the side and you're suddenly in a boat at a fishing tournament... that would be true Americana.

Our towns also tend to dress up a bit for holidays like you did with Town for Christmas. I thought that was fabulous and I loved clicking on Santa and that odd guy in white who started singing and running when you clicked him. Here, we have jazz festivals, throwback festivals where people dress or turn back the clock to how we lived in the past, things city folks might find odd like Mule Day and pumpkin or watermelon harvest festivals. We also have farm markets and people selling ice cream or farm produce from a truck.

Having a train go through somehow in the distance would be great.

Then you have the annoying things like military vehicles, planes and helicopters that tend to fly over making all kinds of noise.

if you want to be funny, have a sasquatch (Bigfoot) pop up once in a while, alien abductions at night or an occasional Going Out of Business sign where you can change whats there to a new business... always happens in small towns that one business closes and a new one opens in it's place.

The blue house over to the left... make it into a pet store. We generally have a lot of businesses like pet stores opening up in what used to be homes so that this would not seem out of place and you could have a little fun with it as people come out or go in with normal pets but then maybe come out with a pet gorilla.

Small town America is also known for carnivals and circuses coming to town so you could have a circus train in the distance and then show them marching through town with a clown walking around at different times.

Small towns are also known for police, fire trucks, ambulances and other emergency vehicles roaring through town with their sirens blasting and lights flashing.

But you have to have a gas station on the end of town and maybe some guy in a truck hauling a boat to go fishing driving through maybe to another theme you could develop later with guys out fishing in boats with swimmers, ducks and speed boats.

People in small town America love to travel so maybe you could adopt this theme to interact more with your others as you have to go to an airport to reach your foreign destinations so maybe you could add a travel button that takes you to the airport landscape and then a Where To selection to the other landscapes. That may be a bit much but I thought it worth mentioning as a possibility.
Aijae524
Name: Debbie G. Williams

Post by Aijae524 »

Yeah, would love to see new landscapes added too.
par
Name: Pasha

Post by par »

Hi, Steven!
I read all the ideas through.
Some ideas seem to me over the top.
But I like some other ideas and added to our list of upcoming features.
Thank you!
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image
armorbeast

Post by armorbeast »

Of course. I was just illustrating what small town America is about and ways you might consider to make it less like the Town theme so it stands on it's own. I doubt you could have a jazz festival on it (lol), but it does illustrate an approach. And who really wants a circus clown running loose on the city streets? But, the part about fishing and a few other things were meant as more sensible ideas.