WARNING: Do not update Flash Player! + Windows FIX !

No news - good news
rose63
Name: Rosemary Hutchings

Re: WARNING: Do not update Flash Player! + Windows FIX !

Post by rose63 »

Whats the use of uninstalling this update when it just reinstalls every time you reboot? I've tried it and although the uninstall works, a day later it is simply reinstalled when Windows 10 has automatic updates. I'm running Windows 10 and I cant seem to find any work around. I'll just have to sit and wait for this to be fixed by Adobe.
Wally©
Name: Walter

Post by Wally© »

rose63 wrote:Whats the use of uninstalling this update when it just reinstalls every time you reboot? I've tried it and although the uninstall works, a day later it is simply reinstalled when Windows 10 has automatic updates. I'm running Windows 10 and I cant seem to find any work around. I'll just have to sit and wait for this to be fixed by Adobe.
Have you tried this...

Open the Start Menu and type gpedit.msc

Then select Edit group policy from the list...

Inside the Local Group Policy Editor browse to

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

Double-click the Defer Upgrades and Updates entry...

Note that you can even delay updates for up to four weeks...

So...if you remove the update and set these parameters before rebooting you should be fine...
Wally©...

(Ignorance can easily be overcome...Stupidity is 4ever...)
SteveMcBill
Name: Steve McWilliam

Post by SteveMcBill »

Please fix this issue with the latest Adobe Flash Security Update guys.

I cannot see me removing the update from Windows-10 as it is a security update and is helping to plug some of the holes in Flash. What YoWindow needs is a 'fix' or workaround to accommodate this security update within Flash.

Hope you manage to get a fix out soon guys.

Happy New Year (whilst I am here).

Steve
par
Name: Pasha

Post by par »

The official answer from Adobe
https://forums.adobe.com/message/8345208#8345208

The current release is a response to a security exploit in the wild that we were forced to address quickly. It went out on Monday, so it should have patched the vast majority of your users already. Our priority will always be the security of the web browser, and our approach in these situations is to remediate the immediate threat while hopefully not breaking anything, and then to deal with any unanticipated/undiscovered functional fallout when it arises. The issue you're experiencing is a functional issue that was fallout from having to push that release prematurely.

We're currently aware of a cluster of bugs impacting the embedded OCX use-case, and are actively investigating. I don't make promises that I can't keep, so I'm not going to talk about dates, but we're doing our best to provide an expedient fix in the form of a production release.

Adobe's US offices are closed for the US holidays, which is slowing down the response. People and systems are unavailable due to vacation travel, scheduled maintenance, etc. Fortunately, we're all back in the office on Monday and should have critical mass. In the meantime, we're already conducting the analysis and considering the logistics of what can be fixed, when. I expect it to be a fairly quick turnaround.

Hope that helps.
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image
DrGerry
Name: Gerry

Post by DrGerry »

I have YoWindow installed on two PCs: one with XP and another with W7. The XP PC YW actualized automatically the Flash Player and I had the black screen. I done the steps wroten in the first post (unistall FP and install FL 20) and now it works perfectly.

Thanks.
gfmucci

Post by gfmucci »

I would think the LEAST YoWindow could do is put some sort of notice on their website about the problem before people attempt to download a non-functioning program.

No, I will not perform a system restore or eliminate a security fix to accommodate a cute but non-essential weather program.

I hope YoWindow has the smarts to notify those of us who have removed the program from their computers when it will be functioning again - at least on their website.
nickwilcock
Name: Nick Wilcock

FIXED - AT LEAST FOR WIN7!!

Post by nickwilcock »

Adobe has now released Flash Player Version 20.0.0.270 for ActiveX - and that has restored YoWindow functionality to my laptop running Win7 with IE11 as default browser.

Now I just have to change all my YoWindow settings back to my preferred 'aviation' values!

However, KB3132372 still prevents YoWindow from working on my Win10 system - presumably Microsoft will be sorting that out soon by releasing another Win10 update.....
mark2011
Name: Marek

Post by mark2011 »

Hi in New Year!
And good news. Adobe has just released a new version of Flash Player AX 20.0.0.270 and after its installation YoWindow alived right away. It regards XP and 7 OS. I do not know of 8 8.1 and 10. If you have problem to install Adobe Flash Player on Win XP you should disable an Antivirus program for the time of FP installation. If you would like to prevent FP's automatic installation then you should disable Adobe Flash Player AX in operating system Autorun (system boot) and/or system Task Sceduler. I think it helps. :wink: By the way, next time before FP updating I will ask Pasha if I allowed or not allowed. :) and now for New Year :beer:
Marek
mark2011
Name: Marek

Post by mark2011 »

Correction to my text: is "I allowed", should be "I am allowed" and "I am not allowed"
sorry, my mistake.
Marek
Wally©
Name: Walter

Post by Wally© »

gfmucci wrote:I would think the LEAST YoWindow could do is put some sort of notice on their website about the problem before people attempt to download a non-functioning program.

No, I will not perform a system restore or eliminate a security fix to accommodate a cute but non-essential weather program.

I hope YoWindow has the smarts to notify those of us who have removed the program from their computers when it will be functioning again - at least on their website.
FYI...Microsoft issues more security updates than I change underwear...

That's how leaky Windows is... Besides most security updates are a real issue only in a corporate environment...

Before switching to Mac I've basically gone from Win98 through Windows 7...only installing updates that COULD REALLY POTENTIALLY effect me...

With Win10 someone decided to shove the updates down your throat...like it or not...buggy or not...

But knowing Microsoft...there will be some kind of patch..to the patch with patched a previous patch...

That said...Our team - as are hundreds of others - is working with Adobe to get these issues resolved...one way or another...
Wally©...

(Ignorance can easily be overcome...Stupidity is 4ever...)