Proposal: New location requests management approach

ikarus1969

Re: Proposal: New location requests management approach

Post by ikarus1969 »

FvE wrote:
Mallorca wrote:...
2. What shall we do with requests having a wrong ID? Check all requests before moving in the pending area?
Werner
Regarding point 2 I would suggest that we correct it, thus saving us a lot of correspondence.
The only exception I can think of (and that only happened once or twice) is when there are a lot of locations under the same name.
Like I had the other day with Ajos Nikolaos, Greece. Then we need the help from the user.

Fred
We should correct it? So we should go to geonames.org and yr.no to check if the ID the users provides is correct for his requested location, right?
»Man is impressive. In a universe full of untold secrets he has invented boredom.«
FvE
Name: Fred

Post by FvE »

ikarus1969 wrote:We should correct it? So we should go to geonames.org and yr.no to check if the ID the users provides is correct for his requested location, right?
Hi Reinhart,

I'm not suggesting that we should correct it. I'm only proposing to do so.
I alwys check at yr.no if the request is right (i.e. no administrative division).
If it isn't right I also found out which ID is.
So it spares me and the new user a lot of time to put up the right request, besides being helpful.

Just my opinion of course.

Thanks,
Fred
ikarus1969

Post by ikarus1969 »

FvE wrote:
ikarus1969 wrote:We should correct it? So we should go to geonames.org and yr.no to check if the ID the users provides is correct for his requested location, right?
Hi Reinhart,

I'm not suggesting that we should correct it. I'm only proposing to do so.
I alwys check at yr.no if the request is right (i.e. no administrative division).
If it isn't right I also found out which ID is.
So it spares me and the new user a lot of time to put up the right request, besides being helpful.

Just my opinion of course.

Thanks,
Fred
Ok, i understand. I misunderstood you - sorry! :oops:
»Man is impressive. In a universe full of untold secrets he has invented boredom.«
countryroads
Name: Marty

Post by countryroads »

Hi Reinhart,

I always do the same as Fred has posted with one additional step. I check the Widget Creation page to check to see if the location is already on the database. Some users are unaware of being able to click on All Locations. So my steps are -

Step 1. Make sure the location is not on the database. If it is, I can then inform the user of this. If it isn't, I go to step 2.
Step 2. Check yr.no to make sure that the location is not an Administrative Division and that the Geoid is correct. If it is incorrect, I am able to correct the request with the correct Geoid. If it is an Administrative Division, I try to find a populated place by the same city name with the same latitude and longitude.

These are the steps that I have always followed. Before, I had to reply to the user that their Geoid was incorrect and wait for a reply back from them. Now, I am able to post to the Pending List with the correct information. This is saving the user and me time. This is just my opinion.

Have a good evening and a good day on Monday. :wink:

Marty
FvE

Post by FvE »

countryroads wrote:Hi Reinhart,

I always do the same as Fred has posted with one additional step. I check the Widget Creation page to check to see if the location is already on the database. Some users are unaware of being able to click on All Locations. So my steps are -

Step 1. Make sure the location is not on the database. If it is, I can then inform the user of this. If it isn't, I go to step 2.
Step 2. Check yr.no to make sure that the location is not an Administrative Division and that the Geoid is correct. If it is incorrect, I am able to correct the request with the correct Geoid. If it is an Administrative Division, I try to find a populated place by the same city name with the same latitude and longitude.

These are the steps that I have always followed. Before, I had to reply to the user that their Geoid was incorrect and wait for a reply back from them. Now, I am able to post to the Pending List with the correct information. This is saving the user and me time. This is just my opinion.

Have a good evening and a good day on Monday. :wink:

Marty
Same here.
Step 1 and then step 2 :)

Fred
ikarus1969

Post by ikarus1969 »

Hi Marty, Fred!

thanks for clarification!

Just in case all other mods are doing it the same way we could delete the "READ THIS FIRST: How to request locations!" instructions and let the user simply request with the location name.
The efforts for a mod would be the same as you (Marty, Fred) are doing now.

Instead of talking of a "correction" of the ID we can talk of "adding" or "providing" the correct one.

A request for the user would be like "Please add Bilbao, Spain".

What do you think?
FvE

Post by FvE »

Hey Reinhart,

I personally think we should still provide new users with the proper way to ask for new locations.
Fortunately there are still people out there who can read and confirm to the right way of asking new locations.
Let's not discourage them :)

Fred
ikarus1969

Post by ikarus1969 »

FvE wrote:Fortunately there are still people out there who can read and confirm to the right way of asking new locations.
Let's not discourage them :)
...and continue to pamper (i hope this is the right expression, in german "verwöhnen") the other :wink:
FvE

Post by FvE »

Don't you love our tasks :wink: :-) :fool:
ikarus1969

Post by ikarus1969 »

FvE wrote:Don't you love our tasks :wink: :-) :fool:
this one's good!
8)