no snow

Any questions? Any answers?
sylvia102

no snow

Post by sylvia102 »

Sorry folks if my question is already asked but I don't understand it all very well, my English is not to good.
I live in the Netherlands about 25 km from Amsterdam airport. My YoWindow displays a autumn scenery and no snow while here in the whole country there is very much snow all over. A friend who lives about 50 km from me has a snowy scenery with a snowball. On my YoWindow I only have the Christmas lights on the farmhouse. :(
How can I change my scenery into snow?? The temperature is minus 5 overhere.
I hope you can hlp me,
love
sylvia.
FvE
Name: Fred

Re: no snow

Post by FvE »

Hi Silvia,

It can depend on where you live.
I'l try to explain:

The season map for all of the Netherlands is: 12.31:winter/01.31:naked/03.19:spring/06.20:summer/09.22:autumn/11.14:naked
This means you'll have:
- a winter landscape from december 31 untill januari 31,
- a naked landscape from januari 31 untill march 19,
- a spring landscape from march 19 untill june 20,
- a summer landscape from june 20 untill september 22,
- an autumn landscape from september 22 untill november 14 and
- a naked landscape from november 14 untill december 31.

So, if you look at the last line you will see why you have a naked landscape.
There is however one exception: If you have a temperature below or equal to -5C and it is snowing, you will see a winter landscape instead of the naked one.

Hope this helps.
If not, please let me know.
Fred
luiso
Name: Luis

Post by luiso »

Hi,

Sylvia, I'm afraid I might be getting your snow... :?

Seriously, I understand your frustration. I am in Madrid and I'm getting a lot of snow in my YoWindow these last few days, although there is no snow at all here. It actually comes and goes. It appeared when we had -4º, but then the temperature went up and the snow kept appearing randomly, so I really don't know what's happening.

Fred, thanks for your explanation, but I don't fully understand. The season map for Madrid (and the rest of Spain, I guess) is:

03.01:spring/05.31:summer/09.16:autumn/11.01:naked/12.16:winter

From your message it looks like the winter landscape is the snowy one, so I should have the winter landscape by now. But that doesn't seem right, as there are many places where winter doesn't mean snow at all. Actually here it looks "naked" most of the winter. The thing is you get used to YoWindow looking like outside and it's weird when it doesn't.

Anyway, Sylvia, I hope you get your deserved snow and snowman soon (I saw the first snowball for a couple of hours yesterday), and Merry Christmas to all!

Luis
FvE
Name: Fred

Post by FvE »

Hi Luis,

I've looked up Madrid and got a bit confused myself.
I've seen the landscape turning on winter on 16/12 when scrolling back.
I also see the naked landscape right now.
And I see the landscape turning to winter once again on 29/12.

For the last rule, I think the explanation is that the maximun forecast is for 10 days ahead, so on the 29th YoWindow can only guess and therefore gives the winter landscape.

But from the naked landscape at the moment I can only deduct that the landscape will turn to naked once again when the temperature is above 0 degrees C or something (I'm just guessing here). Actually this is new to me, I didn't know this up 'till now.

Sorry, I'm no expert either.

Thanks,
Fred
Mallorca
Name: Werner Heidotting

Post by Mallorca »

Hi Luis,
it is not necessary to post the same problem in different posts: http://yowindow.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 7858#p7858
Thanks.
Pasha is ask to have a look at this mystery.
Werner
luiso
Name: Luis

Post by luiso »

Hi, Werner.

Sorry, I didn't want to pester or put any pressure on anyone. I just thought it was funny that Sylvia had no snow and I had too much. And Fred offered an explanation, so I commented it, that's all. Won't happen again.

Cheers,
Luis
Robino

Post by Robino »

Hi Pasha,
In a previous posting I reported that for Belgium (Antwerp area) your program does not show any snow at all, although we have here 20cm of snow already for more than a week.
I now understand the reason, that is that the controlling factor is Yowindow's season definition for my area. When I looked it up it is as follows in the program:
03.20:spring/06.21:summer/09.23:autumn/11.15:naked
So, no winter??? Sorry, but we do get winters here. Believe this is a mistake, which should be corrected.
Question: how do you define the season definition? On which basis?

On the other hand, I like your program very much, but it is a pity these season definitions are out of touch: makes me feel grumpy ;-)
You should certainly do something about it, please?

Best of regards for the season!
Robino
jmcmurry
Name: Jim

Post by jmcmurry »

Robino,

If you will post a season map with the correct dates for your location, Pasha will be glad to fix things for you.

- Jim
Wally©
Name: Walter

Post by Wally© »

Yesssss !!!

Got the snow landscape now...and 2/3 of the snowman... :D
Attachments
Yowindow.jpg
Yowindow.jpg (192.16 KiB) Viewed 7895 times
Wally©...

(Ignorance can easily be overcome...Stupidity is 4ever...)
Robino

Post by Robino »

Thanks Jim!
On the other hand, I have made suggestions for a changed algorithm for showing correctly a snowed landscape under Forum "Suggestions - Snow layer/landscape"
Regards
Robino