All That Want The Old Version Of Yowindow Working Again!

Early builds of YoWindow for Windows
jim0214
Name: Jim C

All That Want The Old Version Of Yowindow Working Again!

Post by jim0214 »

I finally found the website I used to get Yowindow back up and running again. :Yahoo!: Fellow instructions given on the site you'll be up and running too. It takes a little tech know, but hey... if I can do, :%) anyone can. I'm posting a link. If I need to, I'll post the instructions here in the forum. Good luck to everyone and hope it helps! 8)

Link; https://lolwut.info/comp/flash-howto.html
CthulhuSaves

Re: All That Want The Old Version Of Yowindow Working Again!

Post by CthulhuSaves »

Could you elaborate? Yowindow just shows a blank screen and says
To enjoy YoWindow you need to install Flash Player (for Internet Explorer) 10.2 or later.
I try to install the older Flash for IE, but it tells me that IE already has the latest version built-in and won't complete the installation. I don't have IE on my system anyway (fresh win 10 install). No way to download it now, either, as MS has discontinued IE and replaced it with Edge. Banging my head on the wall. Please explain how you got it working. Also, what version of Yowindow do you have? I grabbed an old version off the web, and don't know what the final version was since the official links are gone.
jim0214

Post by jim0214 »

Delete your current Flash Player plugin. You can find the location by doing a computer search. If you have multiples of Flash Plugins delete all of them. Also, if you have Flash Update Service delete it too. Then follow the link given in my first posting and read the instructions on how to install a new Flash Plugin for IE. If you can't find Flash Plugins, old version.com has them.

Link; http://www.oldversion.com
CthulhuSaves

Post by CthulhuSaves »

There's nothing to uninstall. As I said, the Flash plugin for IE (the activex version), which as I understand things is the one required for Yowindow, refuses to install at all. It gives a message saying that it's already built-into IE. I've read that page you linked top to bottom half a dozen times, but it only describes how to remove the "Time Bomb" version, it doesn't give a way to install the correct plugin (also saying that it's built-in to IE).

I was able to install IE11, but that doesn't seem to have helped.

I wish the devs would just tweak Yowindow (desktop) to simply use one of the newer Flash Player Emulator plugins instead and be done with it.
CthulhuSaves

Post by CthulhuSaves »

Finally managed to get Flash installed by using Compatibility Mode for Windows 7 (in Windows 10). However, this is what Yowindow now looks like:

:unknown:
CthulhuSaves

Post by CthulhuSaves »

jim0214 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:47 am If I need to, I'll post the instructions here in the forum.
Literally begging at this point. Tried everything, nothing has worked.
Mephitus

Post by Mephitus »

I jumped through very few hoops myself..

Went to oldversion.com and downloaded the 32bit (important) version of macromedia (not adobe) flash version 11...

Then installed yowindow classic as usual -- no compatibility settings...

Works fine...
CthulhuSaves

Post by CthulhuSaves »

Mephitus wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:36 pm Went to oldversion.com and downloaded the 32bit (important) version of macromedia (not adobe) flash version 11...
Which one did you get? I ask because when I clicked on the latest 32 bit version (Macromedia Flash Player 11.2.202.228 (32-bit) (IE)), the downloaded file says Adobe (install_flash_player_11_active_x_32bit_11.2.202.228). Wanna make sure I'm getting the correct file.

EDIT: Ok, so I got the 32 bit version installed! Had to download a program to delete some registry entries that were locked, but eventually got it. Yowindow for Windows is working again!!!

EDIT 2: Any idea why the audio shuts off? It works for a moment if I adjust the volume, but then mutes a second later. Tested the screen saver just now, and sure enough, the audio isn't working, despite being on.
Mephitus

Post by Mephitus »

CthulhuSaves wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:02 pm EDIT 2: Any idea why the audio shuts off? It works for a moment if I adjust the volume, but then mutes a second later. Tested the screen saver just now, and sure enough, the audio isn't working, despite being on.
It was a fresh install, i did not have any registry keys for flash. Found out what worked on another machine but sound worked there too...

Something is wrong with your flash install or flash settings? (See below...)

Edit: Yes you have the right version of flash.. version 11.2 32bit for active-x .. 32bit only installer...

Note: Make sure to set it to "Never check for updates"!

Note2: In April 2023 Internet Explorer is going to be disabled as a standalone browser in windows 10 and left as a background OS component... requests to internet explorer will redirect to edge chrome... I say this just in case anyone is worried about security and using such and old version of flash... ...as it stands now it doesnt quite work right when trying to view flash in IE anyway... so this will be a good thing.

EDIT 2
It will sound like rain when you are adjusting the sound.... the rain sound stops when you release the mouse button...
Sound in yowindow flash is very faint.... Try turning the volume all the way up and try listening with headphones... you should hear a wind noise at the least.. If you cant, scroll through till you find more active weather..

I forgot this detail because in 'valley' i have to turn up the volume all the way to hear the clock tower chime..
jim0214

Post by jim0214 »

I have no idea why the sound cuts out. It's lightly raining in St. Louis Mo. right now. I open YoWindow and could hear small raindrops falling. I could hear the wind blowing more loudly, but there were raindrops too.