Resizing / Rescaling Images

Feature discussion
FvE
Name: Fred

Resizing / Rescaling Images

Post by FvE »

Hi All,

I've fiddled a bit with a picture I made from my garden.
Like most of you I had troubles with the "square" appearance on the screen.

So I messured the "screensize" of YoWindow from the top of the Windows taskbar at the bottom (in my case a little less than 2 cm, standard I think about 1 cm) 'till the bottom of the upper bar of YoWindow (about 1,5 cm high).
I hope this is clear to you, since this is very important.
All and all this gave me a "usable" screenformat of 33,2 cm wide by 17,5 cm high.

I took this format to copy/resize/rescale my image, which gave me a perfect result.

You should however consider following:

- When copying be sure not to change your original screenformat, either paste and devide your picture to your needs, or:
- When resizing, you could loose the aspect ratio of your original, giving you a deformed picture, or:
- When rescaling, you'll keep the aspect ratio, but you'll probably loose some part of you're image.

In my opnion rescaling is the best option.

To give you some examples I have resized and rescaled pyramids.png
If you compare the resized with the original one, you'll see all the details are still there, but the picture is deformed.
If you compare the rescaled with the original one, you'll notice there's no deformation, but we've lost some sand on the foreground as well as some sky above the pyramids.
Maybe you could keep this in mind when taking your picture: keep some extra space at the top and the bottom of your picture which you wouldn't mind loosing afterwards.

Pyramids original.jpg
Pyramids original.jpg (49.24 KiB) Viewed 25117 times
Pyramids resized.jpg
Pyramids resized.jpg (51.13 KiB) Viewed 25117 times
Pyramids rescaled.jpg
Pyramids rescaled.jpg (54.57 KiB) Viewed 25117 times
Don't forget I had to adjust the height of the horizon in the pyramids.ywl file, since that had changed after rescaling.

I hope this is clear and may be of use to you.

I can now really enjoy my own MyWindow :D
scmarrio
Name: Stephen Marriott

Re: Resizing / Rescaling Images

Post by scmarrio »

Hello FvE,

I find your post on resizing/rescaling interesting but I no matter how I resize your Corvette picture, I cannot get it to fill my YoWindow window.

My window is 18.75w by 9.5"h (47.625cm h by 24.13 cm h).

What program did you use to rescale?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve in Oregon
FvE
Name: Fred

Re: Resizing / Rescaling Images

Post by FvE »