Lightning, rain, and snow rates with PWS?

Personnal Weather Station (PWS) support
DrJeseuss

Lightning, rain, and snow rates with PWS?

Post by DrJeseuss »

I really enjoy the new lightning in 3.0 widget. I'm wondering though, is the lightning frequency correct? I update from a PWS and include a number for thunderstorm instead of 'yes' but the lightning seems too fast for the number in the XML. I then tried editing the XML manually and refreshing to try values of 1, 10, and 100 but did not see a difference in the time between flashes. Also, with rain and snow, is the amount shown (light, heavy, etc.) based on the weather description (light snow, etc...) or on the amount per hour reported (0.57 in/hr)? What about mist and fog? I don't recall seeing either in the XML specs. Are they cloud types? Should the clouds value=[ clear | fair | partlyCloudy | mostlyCloudy | overcast ] also include mist and fog? I'd also like to mention, I'm interested in the answer for both the widget 3.0 and the PC version 2.0 (if different).
par
Name: Pasha

Re: Lightning, rain, and snow rates with PWS?

Post by par »

Hi!

1. No, the lightning frequency is not reflected by YoWindow yet.
However this feature is on our list.

2. The amount of precipitation displayed according amount of rain, snow or hail reported per hour.

3. The depth of mist depends on <visibility> tag value.
<visibility> is available in yowindow.xml spec.
You must have missed it.
in case visibility is missing, YoWindow will try to guess the depth of mist by clouds and precipitation.

All answers apply both to YoWindow 2.0 and 3 in all editions.

I have moved your post to PWS section of the forum because of the theme.
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image
DrJeseuss

Post by DrJeseuss »

par wrote:1. No, the lightning frequency is not reflected by YoWindow yet.
However this feature is on our list.
The feature is very nice as it is. Do you expect it will randomize based on the PWS strikes/min value by the time you release the PC 3.0 version?
par wrote:3. The depth of mist depends on <visibility> tag value.
<visibility> is available in yowindow.xml spec.
You must have missed it.
in case visibility is missing, YoWindow will try to guess the depth of mist by clouds and precipitation.
I didn't miss the visibility tag and do currently use it. Know it makes sense how this works. I haven't had fog or mist yet to verify it's operation but felt I had missed this somewhere. Glad to know I've done it right. Thanks!
par
Name: Pasha

Post by par »

Good! :)

Unfortunately we are very overwelmed with the work tasks.
PWS lightning intervals support is going to be postponed till Spring I think.
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image