Add Metar station

Have an idea?
steve03222
Name: Steve

Add Metar station

Post by steve03222 »

Wondering if K1P1 could be added as a choice?
Steve
jaap

Re: Add Metar station

Post by jaap »

Could you add EHEH Eindhoven Airport as well. It is my nearest Metar station and the current information seems to be accurate.
Thanks, Jaap
par
Name: Pasha

Post by par »

K1H1 METAR station is added to YoWindow.
You may receive the current weather from another station because it is closer to your place than K1H1.

I have excluded EHEH weather station from YoWindow data-base a couple of days ago because it has stopped providing the reliable weather. We have received a user complaint about "Weather Expired" warning.

I'm sorry about the exclusion, but this is the way we are fighting with weather expired at the moment.
Hopefully in the future unreliable stations will be handled more gracefully.

You may always choose METAR weather station (even excluded) in YoWindow interface Location/Location Properties
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image
jaap

Post by jaap »

Morning Pasha,
Sorry that I am coming back on this topic of excluding Metar stations. This is what happened and that could be relevant for many Yowindow users:
1. On Monday Oct. 4th, I happened to notice that my location properties had been changed from the nearest Metar station to an other one further away.(from EHEH to EHVK)
2. The reason given by you was: 1 complaint for unreliable weather reports by a user nearby my home location.
3. I have checked the weather data from EHEH Eindhoven(by-the-way the 2e largest airport in the Netherlands) and it appeared that during 24 hours on Sunday Oct.3rd no information was made available because of yearly maintenance of the weather station. Apparently this can happen at every station each year. Aviation is being notified about this well in advance.
4. Meanwhile the station is back to normal again with accurate information, but now seems to be excluded from YoWindow for ever.

In other words:
Let's be careful here. Please double check the Metar station before taking drastic steps.
Can others users in the region be informed prior to an exclusion, Pasha?
Can somebody contact the Metar station to learn what is going on when the info fails? And inform others in the region?

In general all Metar stations in the Netherlands are reliable because aviation, marine, ballooning, parachuting, they are all depending on their weather forecasts. Therefore I would like to ask all YoWindow users in Holland: why don't we put all Metar stations back into the system taking into account that maybe once a year a station is temporarely not on air for reasons of maintenance, computer breakdown, or what ever.
(I also noticed that the region of Zeeland is covered by Woensdrecht only and not by Vlissingen!)

Like to hear your comments.

Happy YoWindow user, Jaap
par

Post by par »

Dear Jaap, tracking METAR stations is like another job.
You may probably know that there are not many people are working on YoWindow.
I will not be able to add anything new to the program if I will be watching for weather stations around the world (not only in Netherlands).

Anyway I've got your message.
I have put EHEH back to YoWindow data-base.

Sorry, I'm trying to put my efforts to the most important aspects of the project.
Some day we will improve METAR stations management.
Please wait for us.

Image Image Image
phantom
Name: curt

Post by phantom »

URL address of a weather station.
I want to use the one from Hinckley Minnesota airport. Located at the field of dreams airport. Tried to go under location properties, and change metar code. However, the code has to be all letters. The field of dreams airport code is KO4W. Maybe, your program could be changed so any person can enter their national weather service Metar code manually. Instead of creating a drop down list for every weather station. To bad this program couldn't do what the national weather service does. Just enter your zip code, and it will find the closet weather station to you. Which is field of dreams airport.
By the way, I like your program. Only suggestion I have. This program should allow you watch the live radar, and since more people will be using this program. It should give warnings of serve weather in your area. Also, it should state weather alerts for your area.` Will this program have sound affects too.
par

Post by par »

Dear Phantom, welcome to the forum!

I agree with all of your suggestions.
All of them are on our Hi-Pri list.
Unfortunately it takes time to do good things.
All these features will appear in YoWindow sooner or later.

Including ZIP code location search.

I'm very sorry I have forbidden numbers entering in ICAO code.
This error will be fixed in the next RC.

Image Image Image
par

Post by par »

Friends, shame on me.
YoWindow was blocking any METAR station that has a number inside its ICAO code.
I just have removed this restriction.
Now K1P1 and KO4W are available in YoWindow.
I'm sorry.

Image Image Image
steve03222
Name: Steve

Post by steve03222 »

Thank you very much K1P1 is now available and working fine.
Steve
par

Post by par »

You are welcome :)

Image Image Image