Early builds of YoWindow for Windows
Don
Name: Don

b117 Sound

Post by Don »

Hey Pavel,

I did a quick check of b117.

First the good news: The audio levels sound about right. :D

Now the bad news: The rain sounds like loud machinery, and when I checking the seaside landscape I adjusted the volume slider a banging noise started, which I think is related to the waves. :(

I will let you know if find anything else.

Don
Wally©
Name: Walter

Re: b117 Sound

Post by Wally© »

Same here...Especially heavy rain sounds like a machine gun...

First I though it had something to do with my soundcard but when I changed

the options.xml sound settings to 0.60 the problem was gone...
Wally©...

(Ignorance can easily be overcome...Stupidity is 4ever...)
countryroads
Name: Marty

Post by countryroads »

Hi Pasha,

I also did a quick check of RC b117. I have not listened to all of the sounds.

First the good news. On my Toshiba speakers, the following sound okay.
Rain is okay
Village - the birds singing are okay
Seaside - the surf is okay
Airport - the plane landing is okay

The bad news. The following sounds cannot be heard or they can barely be heard.
Fireworks - can barely be heard
Village - I cannot hear the rooster
Village - I cannot hear the horse

I go back to my suggestion about handicapped speakers. http://he1.yowindow.com/forum/viewtopic ... 29&t=13270
Leave the volume in YoWindow RC b114 alone and allow the volume slider to go passed 100%.
When the volume slider goes passed 100%, options.xml would be adjusted. 400% would become a '4' on options.xml.
That way laptops with lower end speakers can be adjusted without causing a problem for higher end speakers.

For now, I am going to use RC b114 (and adjust options.xml to a '4') until the next RC.

:(
Marty
ikarus1969

b117 Sound - Village White noise

Post by ikarus1969 »

Hi Pavel,

the sound level are ok for me now but what i find a littel bit annyoing is the white noise in the village landscape.
For me it sounds like theres a motorway behind the next hill - you can't see the cars but you hear them - a constant flow of... something?
(well, the sound you have gotten in the days of analog tv-broadcasting when the signal was either lost or disturbed - or the sound Eleanor Arroway is listening to in "Contact" before she got some contact or ... :crazy: )
»Man is impressive. In a universe full of untold secrets he has invented boredom.«
MaxH
Name: Max

Post by MaxH »

Hi Par,
Same 'machinery gun' here. Not the first time after starting YoWindow, but in my case, scrolling forward and backwards in time from snow to rain or dry to rain.
Thx for 're-opening' the airport :)

Max
Mallorca
Name: Werner Heidotting

Post by Mallorca »

Hi Pasha,

checked also the sounds and from my piont of view (ears) nearly everything is OK. Checked it with default options and my reference loudness level is the system sound of Yowindow7.
Not checked thunderstorm (could not find a location).

Positiv:
flying birds, singing birds, crying cock and Milli on village landscape
waves on seaside landscape
landing planes (sounds like stereo and the sound is realistic to the planes position)

Negativ:
sound level of rain is too high and sounds like a diesel engine

Question:
why is Milli to hear on winter landscape with snow (and not to see, also a sound like a cow)?

Suggestion:
would be realistic to hear allways a "white noise" (can't hear it as Reinhart reported)

You are on a good way to make Yowindow better :beer:
Werner
par
Name: Pasha

Post by par »

Oh well... :)
I will review all your reports and hopefully to find the proper balance of sounds.

Marty, I've done exactly as you have proposed the max sound level is now 4 times higher than before.

Reinhart, I do remember the white noise from TV when there was no signal, good point :)
The white sound for Village is a tree leaves clapping on the wind recorded somewhere in France.
And yes, it sounds like TV :(
I hope we will find a way to make it better.
The white noise is only heard when there are leaves on trees.

Werner, the animals are in the barn, it does not stop them from making some noise.
That's my theory, though.
Am I right?

And, friends, thank you anyway, you are awesome :)
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image
harveyge
Name: Geoff

Post by harveyge »

I get the same problem. Horrod loud buzzing noise when it rains. When testing in the options menu it works and sounds fine, Only get buzz or hum of variable pitch when using slider on forcasts and weather changes into a rainy period.

Thanks

Geoff
harveyge
Name: Geoff

Post by harveyge »

Did further research and it seems as if the rain sound is over modulating hence the throbbing sound, sometimes sounds like a machine gun or the buzz/throb when there is an open circuit input to an aidio amplifier. Setting sound option to 0.6 seems to help but it also depends on what the overall sound volume is set to and at some point in time it starts sounding the throbbing buzzing sound again.

Thanks

Geoff
Don
Name: Don

Post by Don »

Hi Pavel,

Here is some more information I hope will help.

The sound problems do not start right away. Like Max said, changing from dry to rain or snow to rain can cause it. Also, as I said in my first post, it seems using YoWindow's volume slider can cause it.

The throbbing sound can be heard at any volume level that is loud enough to be heard. This also applies to the banging sound the waves make.

I reinstalled version b114 and listened to the rain very loudly and heard no throbbing. So it would seem the problem was introduced sometime after b114.

The problem with Millie has been fixed.

Don