navigation light

Have an idea?
Mallorca
Name: Werner Heidotting

navigation light

Post by Mallorca »

Hi Pasha,
only a very small suggestion: in the nightview, the aeroplane coming from the left side has the wrong navigation light :? It is red, must be green ... because you see the right (steerboard) side and all planes and ships all over the world have a green navigation light on this side ;)
Werner
par
Name: Pasha

Re: navigation light

Post by par »

:))

The light is red because all my childhood the lights on the planes in USSR were red.
I wanted to put it there so much.
Just that very Red light.

Hope some day we will have different plane types and the lights would be there like in real life.

Thanks for the correction :)
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image
fishermansblues
Name: Andreas

Post by fishermansblues »

Hi everyone

It is unlikely that you could see the port and starboard navigation lights on such a small image. I think Pasha has it correct though. The red strobe light that you can see is a beacon. For further information see http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/el ... 0263.shtml. I would however like to see some of the sea-going craft in the seaside landscape showing some navigation lights. Very bad seamanship not to show lights at night.

Regards
"Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea which could only have originated in California." E W Dijkstra (1930 - 2002)
Mallorca
Name: Werner Heidotting

Post by Mallorca »

Hi Andreas,

I fully agree with you in fact of the seagoing vessels ... I'm saling since 35 years and was living for a couple of years on board of a sailing yacht and sailing more than 40.000 nm.
But in case of the lights of a flying vessel I'm afraid you are not correct. Long time befor you can see any coloured light, you see the white strobe lights on both wings and later on the coloured red beacon and red/green position lights In addition to the white strobe lights.

So it is not realistic what we see with only a blinking red light. But I respect the child dreams of Pasha ;)
Werner
fishermansblues
Name: Andreas

Post by fishermansblues »

Mallorca wrote: Long time befor you can see any coloured light, you see the white strobe lights on both wings and later on the coloured red beacon and red/green position lights In addition to the white strobe lights.

So it is not realistic what we see with only a blinking red light. But I respect the child dreams of Pasha ;)
You are right Werner, guess I should look out of my window a bit more often. Whatever, the effect is still good.

All the best to the YoWindow team
"Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea which could only have originated in California." E W Dijkstra (1930 - 2002)
Tromp
Name: Th. Tromp

Post by Tromp »

Pasha's child dream: The USSR complied with the IATA- and ICAO rules and had the same navigation lights as elsewhere. It had to, otherwise it could not have flown to other countries. There is one aberration: the altitude was, when in according to the ICAO-agreement starting 22 february 1954 the altitude was given in feet (concession to Britain and the US) and the alphabet was changed from pure English to words that were not (concession to the French, like visibility in meters), Soviet aircraft still indicated the altitude in meters - and I still sympathize with this decision.
The beacon light: under the aircraft's body and, generally not in use during (high altitude) flight; mostly used during warming-up (to indicate that the engine (and accordingly prop) is active, during taxi movements and sometimes during take-off and landing (when asked by traffic control, like an the order to flash landing lights).
The flashing white light is generally on top of the rudder.