What to do when the weather observed is wrong

Any questions? Any answers?
Weather22

What to do when the weather observed is wrong

Post by Weather22 »

Hi,

I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Surrounding area is about 550,000 people so not a small city. My yowindow is showing a fresh layer of snow this a.m. But there was no snow.
Just wondering if there is anything I can do to fix this? I could understand mistakes for small rural areas but a major metropolitan city?

Thanks,
Mike
par
Name: Pasha

Re: What to do when the weather observed is wrong

Post by par »

Hey, Mike!

YoWindow takes the current weather for Halifax from HALIFAX International Airport.
I think you should know that this is 25 kilometers from the city.
It may happen that the snow may be falling in the airport, but in the city there is not snow.
There is also a delay between the measurement time and the moment YoWindow reflects the weather - usually 15 - 45 minutes.

One thing for sure, weather quality provided by METAR stations is exceptionally good, since the weather is provided for aviation.
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image
beve7

Post by beve7 »

I have the same problem. It has been raining all night, but it's not registering online. It's showing windy, but no rain. I updated the weather, but still nothing.
par

Post by par »

Beve, please let me know the location and country you have selected in YoWindow.

Image Image Image
luiso
Name: Luis

Post by luiso »

Hi all!

I have the same problem. For the last two days my landscape appears snowed, when in my city, Madrid (Spain), there's been no snow at all. We are below zero, yes, but the sky is totally clear and not a single flake has fallen. I am using alternatively two METAR stations, LEMD and LEVS, 10 and 15 km from my home, so the data shold be very accurate.

Apart from that, I truly LOVE YoWindow and I'm looking forward to the new landscapes and features.

Keep it up!
Mallorca
Name: Werner Heidotting

Post by Mallorca »

Hi Luiso,

you are right. I checked it with location Madrid and the temperature is just now + 3°C and show snow :o
For tomorrow the season map is "naked".
Normaly the season map show snow only, when the temperature is below -4°C (if you have snow or not).
I'm living on Mallorca and the season map is "naked" ... according to the weather.

I checked the season periods and Madrid and Mallorca are the same :o
So perhaps Pasha know what is going wrong.

Werner
luiso

Post by luiso »

Mallorca wrote:Normaly the season map show snow only, when the temperature is below -4°C (if you have snow or not).
Hi, Werner.

Thanks for your answer. I checked a few minutes ago and the snow had disappeared. Now it looks more like it. :D

I suspected the snow landscape was due to the below zero temperature. If it is so, as you say, maybe it could be corrected at some point. I mean, it's not that terrible, but to me, as a really new and really enthusiastic user, the wonderful thing about YW is that the window actually looks like outside.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this toy immensely. Thanks, Pasha & the rest of the team.

Luis
luiso

Post by luiso »

PS.

Everything is covered with snow again. :? Twice in the same day. BTW, the temperature is 2º C. The funny thing is that I just saw the widget for Madrid in the YoWindow home page and there is no snow. Has anyone an explanation for this?

Thanks,
Luiso
par

Post by par »

The current season-map for Madrid is the following.
03.01:spring/05.31:summer/09.16:autumn/11.01:naked/12.16:winter

That is the winter season starts on December 16
Right now I'm looking at Madrid in YoWindow.
The temperature is +6 C
When the temperature is more that +5 C winter landscape is substituted with the naked one.

Probably we need to update the season-map for Madrid.
Please help me.

Image Image Image
luiso

Post by luiso »

Hi, Par.

Thanks for your answer.

If, as Werner explained, the naked season shows snow when the temperature is below -4°C (and, I guess, when it's actually snowing), I suggest a simple change in the season map:

03.01:spring/05.31:summer/09.16:autumn/11.01:naked

In my opinion that would be a bit more realistic.

Again, congratulations for your fabulous work.

Luis