Different Terminology for the same things

countryroads
Name: Marty

Different Terminology for the same things

Post by countryroads »

I have been reading the conversation about time.

Being a computer programmer for over 30 years, I have had to use the 24 hour format on the computer. Living in the USA, I have had to use the 12 hour AM and PM format. Since I work with both, I know, for example, that 17:00 is 5:00 PM.

To the average person in the USA, the clock is a 12 hour format unless they are in the USA Military. The USA military uses the 24 hour format. We are all talking about the same thing. There are 24 hours in a day. :)

Being an outdoor sports enthusiast, I have had to learn other terms for the same things. My rockclimbing shoes and my bicycling shoes are in metric as they are made in Europe. My everyday walk around town shoes are in USA sizes. :lol:

I try to get in a 12 mile ride (20 kilometers) during the winter whenever the temperature is 35 F (1.5 C) sunny and very little breeze. I do this as once spring gets here, we bicyclists try to get in a metric century - 62.5 miles or 100 kilometers. ;)

All of the above are different terminologys for measuring the exact same thing! ;)

I have been wanting to applaud Canada and my friends on the other side of the ocean. While, I was going to school and only learning English, you were going to school and learned English along with your own language. I wish that our school system would have atleast had us learn French as Canada is on the other side of Lake Erie.

Hopefully, I have not bored you. I just wanted to make a comment on the Time issue in Offtopic where it belongs. ;)

Marty
dc1jr

Re: Different Terminology for the same things

Post by dc1jr »

hi Marty,

I hope you are doing fine and you do enjoy the first days in winter.
We have got a lot of snow at my place.

This is a great comment from your side, well done ..... and at the right place off topic.
Your comment could be my thoughts and words, no doubt.

One of our problems here in Europe is, that most people do not know, that in general you do not have the chance at school to learn these things we do here in Europe. No one is talking about that.

Everybodies thought is, the US have been at the moon - they are far ahead with everything in daily life.

Well, they have been at the moon and they are handling the Space Shuttle System - that's the topside of the medal, but the backside of this medal is the school and education system. It is different to our system. I am not sure which system is really better - and we have really different ones all over Europe.
All kids all over the world should have their chance to learn what ever is necessary for life and better understanding from each other.
The army should not be the place to do so ..... but it is a chance for a lot of people to do so and to be proud of their country.

I hope, I did not bore and hurt anybody with my remarks.

Have nice day, where ever you are

Uli