Radar

Have an idea?
Mallorca
Name: Werner Heidotting

Re: Radar

Post by Mallorca »

My dear friend Marty,

yesterday I had a look on different weathersites offering radar streams. Some are animated gifs but mostly are flash based.

The view mainly depends on the speed of your internet connection and not on the system or resources of your computer (therefore it’s peanuts for a modern computer).
The second is the remaining rate oft he radar streams and of course the speed of the server where this sites are hosted.

There are a lot more facts talking against a radar stream integrated in Yowindow. Here only some of them:

• In generally you have to find a company which give the permission for free COMMERCIAL use.
• All sites with radar I found are limited on a continent or country (so for instance see our data distributor yr.no)
• So it would be necessary to install a lot of sites!
• If you will use a weather radar seriously you must have the experience to read and interpret the datas.
• Which kind of radar you will use? Please have a look on wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_radar and then tell me more!
• You remember from the beginnig on of Yowindow, a lot of users had problems with the resources of Yowindow (especially when we have more movement (rain, snow) on the flash).
You can imagine what will happen when you have a constant stream with a radar in addition and the planned movement of more animals and so on …
• It would need a lot of space covering the landscape

I don’t understand, why people demand this „feature“ or think they need a weather radar don’t set a link oft he best weatherstation covering her local area on the desktop. Or subscribe an RSS with warnings??? It’s so easy!

If Pasha will fullfill this demand, I will fix my Yowindow on the last release before ;)

I don’t know whether my answers will satisfy your questions?

Best greetings across the ocean :D

Werner

P.S.: if you agree, I will post this answer as open form in our forum.
countryroads
Name: Marty

Post by countryroads »

Hi Werner,

I completely agree with you. If I knew that a release would come out tomorrow with a radar screen inside of YoWindow, I would keep running the current release that I have. Radar does not belong inside of YoWindow. Otherwise, YoWindow begins to look like Herman's instrument panel and YoWindow is REFRESHING!

I presently do exactly what you have suggested about radar. If clouds look like a storm or if I am ready for hike or bike ride, I exit from YoWindow and look at a radar program that I have. It is as simple as that.

For the people that would like radar connected to YoWindow, I had suggested a selection at the top of YoWindow. Along with Program, Landscape, Location and Help a selection of Radar could be added. When clicked, a separate little window would be displayed outside of YoWindow and when clicked again that window would disappear. That was what I was trying to show with my sample htmls. This window would be completely separate and not a part of YoWindow. You would have a choice to see it or to leave it off.

With 30 years of being a senior analyst computer programmer and having atleast 30 projects at the same time, I know how buried in work Pasha and Yuri are. I also do not want to see a beautiful refreshing landscape get destroyed with what we call Modern Technology. When I am bike riding down a beautiful country road and I see a sign that reads Coming Soon A New Super Wa...rt or Coming Soon a McD....... , you know that the beautiful country road will be no longer as technology will ruin it.

I discovered YoWindow last October thanks to an article that Jim had on his website. The very next day, I was emailing Pasha with suggestions. Infact, YoWindow had its first birthday just recently. Happy Belated Birthday to YoWindow. I know all the suggestions that I have given along with all those of Reinhart, Fred, Uli, Jim, Herman, yourself and others. I do not want anything destroying the integrity of our one year old YoWindow.

As I said before, I completely agree with you. ;)

Marty
alien1

Post by alien1 »

For the people that would like radar connected to YoWindow, I had suggested a selection at the top of YoWindow. Along with Program, Landscape, Location and Help a selection of Radar could be added. When clicked, a separate little window would be displayed outside of YoWindow and when clicked again that window would disappear. That was what I was trying to show with my sample htmls. This window would be completely separate and not a part of YoWindow. You would have a choice to see it or to leave it off.
This is a good idea. Just have a separate window, part of the program but separate from the landscape. Might I also suggest not only a radar but a drop down menu of other weather maps as well. Many websites including NWS provide these maps. As I said before, for convenience, instead of having to open another desktop weather app just for radar.
Mallorca
Name: Werner Heidotting

Post by Mallorca »

Hi to all friends engaged in this discussion,

after the last reply I have no more words! So I stop my engagement in this discussion immediately. I spent a lot of time to argument and now I would like to have fun with this programm and philosophy and not be angry!
Werner
par
Name: Pasha

Post by par »

Hello :)

Guys please don't argue.

Werner, alien and Marty, thank you for the investigation you have made.

I want to express our vision on this topic.

I completely support Werner words in his last by one comment.

However, I understand the importance of Radar and severe weather warnings for US.
We receive a lot of requests for these features.

Don't worry.
We will not let YoWindow get cluttered like a pilot cabin.
Very wise picture Herman.

If we to integrate radar images you will not see radar images unless you want to.

So again, please, if you to find a resource on the internet that provides radar images and the following conditions are met, let me know!

1. images are licensed free for commercial use
2. world coverage or at least US
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image
jehcan

Post by jehcan »

Here is a site in the United States ran By NOAA that might work .

http://www.weather.gov/disclaimer.php
par
Name: Pasha

Post by par »

Thank you!
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image
OldNESJunkie
Name: Dan

Post by OldNESJunkie »

I agree that severe weather alerts would be a plus, along with radar. I would say to make it optional, like the astronomy, etc on the inspector, but a whole different strip.

Offtopic - Is there a key to press to make all the overlays vanish & just show the animated window view ??
ikarus1969

Post by ikarus1969 »

OldNESJunkie wrote:Offtopic - Is there a key to press to make all the overlays vanish & just show the animated window view ??
The TAB-key will hide the time-line, the inspector and the forecast-panels all at once (unless they aren't already invisible by pressing "1", "2" and "3" previously).
Just read the shortcuts from the menu-bar...
»Man is impressive. In a universe full of untold secrets he has invented boredom.«
OldNESJunkie
Name: Dan

Post by OldNESJunkie »

You know what's really sad is I somehow TOTALLY overlooked the Tab key on that menu. :o Gettin too old to read now..........