Now PWS data are backed by METAR, Download RC 224

Personnal Weather Station (PWS) support
par
Name: Pasha

Now PWS data are backed by METAR, Download RC 224

Post by par »

If some weather parameter missing in PWS xml file, YoWindow takes the parameter from the closest METAR station.
For example sky conditions or visibility (as requested by Jim).

Download the latest build.
http://repkasoft.com/rc.html
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image
jmcmurry
Name: Jim

Re: Now PWS data are backed by METAR, Download RC 224

Post by jmcmurry »

Pasha,

Thank you that should help a lot of people. I'll have to give that a try right now.

- Jim
jmcmurry
Name: Jim

Post by jmcmurry »

Pasha,

I just tried the new version and it noticed that I didn't have visibility, so it added it from METAR which is perfect. But, it also used the METAR sky conditions even though I had them in the xml.

Code: Select all

<response>
  <current_weather>
    <temperature value="-4.8"/>
    <humidity value="0.96"/>
    <pressure value="1015.2"/>
    <wind>
      <speed value="1"/>
      <direction value="360"/>
    </wind>
    <sky>
      <clouds value="overcast"/>
      <precipitation mode="no"/>
    </sky>
  </current_weather>
</response>

YoWindow was showing Light Snow, Mist which is what the Volk Field METAR was reporting.

- Jim
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

Pavel, with RC 224, from 2 types of templates I am using, I get a continuous 'Weather expired' warning message...

One XML template is produced/updated/uploaded (every 10 seconds) by Cumulus - http://tzouhalem.net/cumulus/web/yowindow.xml

The other XML template is produced by Jim (jmcmurry) PHP script - this script is only updated when a request is sent from YoWindow but the data file used for the scrip is updated/uploaded every 5 seconds - http://tzweather.org/wxweather/yowindow-xml.php

I had the PHP script running until I upgraded YoWindow 224 ... then, the warning and no screen update... :(

I just downgraded to YoWindow 223 and everything is fine (running/working) again... :)

Other than adding the fallback to the METAR, what else did you change... :shock:
par

Post by par »

Ray, the expired message is related to METAR weather report, which is actually gets expired for your location.

You see, we have 2 weather sources now - PWS and METAR.
One of them provides expired weather.
Should the program to display a warining message?
I don't want to take any major changes in the program.
The solution to this problem should be fast and elegant.

Do you want your Weather Station data backed by METAR or not?

What location have you added to YoWindow?
Canada/Duncan?

I need to think how to resolve this problem.

gemini06720 wrote:Pavel, with RC 224, from 2 types of templates I am using, I get a continuous 'Weather expired' warning message...

Image Image Image
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

Pasha/Pavel... :P
par wrote:Ray, the expired message is related to METAR weather report, which is actually gets expired for your location.
OK, I understand. But even using the 'F5' key would not update the information from my weather station... But, then, 224 has been replaced by 225... :)
par wrote:You see, we have 2 weather sources now - PWS and METAR. One of them provides expired weather. Should the program to display a warining message? I don't want to take any major changes in the program. The solution to this problem should be fast and elegant.
Is there no way to separate both - what I mean would it not be more elegant (as you put it) if the use of a PWS would be a completely new and different menu option rather than being 'buried' into "Location -> Organize locations... -> Properties -> Check mark in front of "Load weather from personal weather station" -> Setup".

How about putting a new menu option directly under "Location" such as "Location -> Personal Weather Station or PWS" - that option would be a lot more elegant than what is now available. I understand that a local YR.NO or METAR must also be entered to compensate for the missing information from a PWS. But a warning could be placed at the bottom of the "Personal Weather Station or PWS" entry screen/window stating that a information about a local YR.NO or METAR must be entered.
par wrote:Do you want your Weather Station data backed by METAR or not?
If you decide to create a separate menu entry such as "Personal Weather Station or PWS" then, rather than what I suggested above, the warning could be replaced by a check mark box where the user can select to use a local YR.NO or METAR as a backup to the PWS - very elegant and much more simple for the user...
par wrote:What location have you added to YoWindow? Canada/Duncan?
Underneath everything, I am using Duncan/Canada, the more reliable of the 3 unreliable local METARS ... as I cannot choose a more reliable METAR ... such as the one for Victoria International Airport/Canada... hint... ;)
par wrote:I need to think how to resolve this problem.
Pavel, which problem is that? I do not see problems but only different options that have to be weighted against each others.

Oh, another thing... I am starting to feel sorry for you as you have decided to modify YoWindow to accommodate the PWS rather than requesting the PWS operators to adapt to the requirements of YoWindow ... By doing this you have increased the complexity of YoWindow ... Not only that, you (and your technical support team = you) will now be held responsible for the proper compatibility and operation of all PWSs with YoWindow (even those new breeds of really cheap and completely unreliable weather stations) - and that will probably turn into a full time support job (with very little development time) once YoWindow becomes better known in North America - you do not believe me, just ask Steve Loft the designer of the weather software Cumulus how much time he has left for the development of the new Cumulus2 ... just because Steve has decided/opted to add support for almost all requested weather stations... :(
par

Post by par »

"Location -> Organize locations... -> Properties -> Check mark in front of "Load weather from personal weather station" -> Setup".
There is an easy path Location/Properties/Check mark
a check mark box where the user can select to use a local YR.NO or METAR as a backup to the PWS
Yes, probably.
as I cannot choose a more reliable METAR ... such as the one for Victoria International Airport/Canada... hint... ;)
I have changed the METAR for your location, sorry for the delay.
I am starting to feel sorry for you as you have decided to modify YoWindow to accommodate the PWS rather than requesting the PWS operators to adapt to the requirements of YoWindow
Well, it is not exactly so.
I want to give PWS vendors/users and Weather Software users a handy format.
We are almost done, I hope this week the format and PWS feature are going to be finished and will be included in the build.
For the major stations I will provide special format tags.
And yes, complexity is bad, agree.

Thank you very much for warning me, I will try to avoid making YoWindow too much dependant on PWS outputs, to spare my time in future.

Image Image Image