1.4 Release Candidate

Questions, suggestions, error reports related to Android edition of YoWindow
par
Name: Pasha

1.4 Release Candidate

Post by par »

We are going to release this build on Google Play unless major flaws found.
Please, give it a good test.
Especially the free edition because most people (150,000) use it every day.

ATTENTION: "Open landscape" feature will not be available on Google Play. It is not ready for the wide audience yet.

What's new?
- Temperature in the status bar updated - degree mark shifted to the right.
- FIXED: Wind parameter is missing in Inspector on Tablets.
- FIXED: Crash on "Set as Home".
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image
par

Re: 1.4 Release Candidate

Post by par »

Published!

Image Image Image
bmccoy
Name: Brendan

Post by bmccoy »

The horse is low-resolution and doesn't match the resolution of the other landscape assets.

Instead of "Vote for YoWindow" and "Vote", it should say "Rate YoWindow" and "Rate". :)

Instead of saying "[Weather]. [Location]" in the weather notification, it should just say "[Weather]" and should state any weather warnings issued from the local weather service.

That brings me onto another request, weather warnings. There are lots of other weather apps that have it, even Google Now has it. It would be great if YoWindow could show weather warnings issued from NWS/Weather Underground/METAR.

I also don't think the "Enable Surprises" option should be located in the "Advanced" menu, there doesn't even need to be any advanced menu until more than 1 advanced option is added. The option to enable debugging should be moved to the Advanced menu, however.
DEVICES:

Nexus 7 (2013)

HP Pavilion G7-1150us laptop with 255GB Crucial SSD & 8GB RAM
par

Post by par »

Hi, Brendan, thanks for the great report!
bmccoy wrote:The horse is low-resolution and doesn't match the resolution of the other landscape assets.
This is a known issue, hard to fix because making horse high-res will significantly impact .apk size.
bmccoy wrote: Instead of "Vote for YoWindow" and "Vote", it should say "Rate YoWindow" and "Rate". :)
Why?

bmccoy wrote: Instead of saying "[Weather]. [Location]" in the weather notification, it should just say "[Weather]" and should state any weather warnings issued from the local weather service.
Why do you want to remove the location name?
Weather warnings is a big feature we want to add in the future.
bmccoy wrote: I also don't think the "Enable Surprises" option should be located in the "Advanced" menu, there doesn't even need to be any advanced menu until more than 1 advanced option is added. The option to enable debugging should be moved to the Advanced menu, however.
[/quote]

There are more than one item in Advanced menu if you to open Free edition.
We are going to add more items there soon.

Debugging option is hidden development feature.
It is supposed to be hidden very well from the end users.

Image Image Image
bmccoy

Post by bmccoy »

par wrote:
bmccoy wrote: Instead of "Vote for YoWindow" and "Vote", it should say "Rate YoWindow" and "Rate". :)
Why?
It makes more sense. Google Play doesn't have a voting system, it has a rating system.
bmccoy wrote: Instead of saying "[Weather]. [Location]" in the weather notification, it should just say "[Weather]" and should state any weather warnings issued from the local weather service.
par wrote: Why do you want to remove the location name?
It isn't proper grammar, if it states the location, it should be in the notification description instead.
par wrote: Debugging option is hidden development feature.
If you want it to be well hidden, you should display the version/build number in the Advanced menu and require 7 taps on the build number to unlock debug mode, which then adds a switch to disable debug mode again. That's similar to how Android has its developer options menu implemented.
DEVICES:

Nexus 7 (2013)

par

Post by par »

bmccoy wrote:
par wrote:
Why?
It makes more sense. Google Play doesn't have a voting system, it has a rating system.
We made this choice because if we ask people to vote instead of rate, it seems YoWindow can gain more positive feedback and hence more chances to succeed on Play Store.

bmccoy wrote:
It isn't proper grammar, if it states the location, it should be in the notification description instead.
Still I don't get it...
Look at Yahoo Weather notification, they also display location name on top.
And to me it seems reasonable - to avoid user confusion.

bmccoy wrote:
If you want it to be well hidden, you should display the version/build number in the Advanced menu and require 7 taps on the build number to unlock debug mode, which then adds a switch to disable debug mode again. That's similar to how Android has its developer options menu implemented.
That's a good idea. I wish I have more time to add this.

Image Image Image
bmccoy

Post by bmccoy »

par wrote:
Why?
[/quote]

We made this choice because if we ask people to vote instead of rate, it seems YoWindow can gain more positive feedback and hence more chances to succeed on Play Store.

bmccoy wrote:
Still I don't get it...
Look at Yahoo Weather notification, they also display location name on top.
And to me it seems reasonable - to avoid user confusion.

bmccoy wrote:
That's a good idea. I wish I have more time to add this.[/quote]

I don't know how saying "Vote" would change the overall rating, I just think saying "Rate" makes more sense and, at least in my case, it wouldn't change whether I write a 5 star review or not. I personally think "Rate" would be better.

Now, onto Yahoo Weather. I really like how its ongoing notification is implemented. It doesn't say the weather and location side by side, it would look nice if the location could be in a smaller font size, placed below the current weather, which should be on top in a big, bold font, and with the current temperature placed on the right.

DEVICES:

Nexus 7 (2013)

bmccoy

Post by bmccoy »

I noticed a bad bug when trying to use a custom landscape - when trying to set a custom landscape through the live wallpaper options, YoWindow force closes and the live wallpaper keeps force closing until I clear YoWindow's app data.
DEVICES:

Nexus 7 (2013)

par

Post by par »

Thanks, Brendan!
I'm aware of this problem.
I'm going to take care about it and many other custom landscape errors as soon as I switch to this task.
This feature is still in BETA and is not available for wide audience.

Image Image Image