Proposal: New location requests management approach

Mallorca
Name: Werner Heidotting

Re: Proposal: New location requests management approach

Post by Mallorca »

Hi friends,

when I open my RSS Yowindow (several times a day) the last time > 90% of new posts is "add location" ...
On one hand it is shows us how many new users we have (fine), on the other hand it is a lot of work/time of Pasha and some moderators to fullfill these requests.
Very often this new user didn't read the minimum requirements adding new locations (administration places and so on) and so I agree with Reinhart to ask: do we "pamper" this people with our "help".

If we think to next future, is it serious the right way to spend so much effort for such an "administrative" point? Or could we find together a way to "automate" this?
So my suggestion is: let's think about this.

Werner
countryroads
Name: Marty

Post by countryroads »

Hi Friends,

I think about the questions that both Werner and Reinhart have asked. I like to think that what we are doing to help Pasha out is not a permanent solution. It is an interim or temporary fix so that Pasha can release YoWindow 3 Desktop.

Having been a computer programmer myself, my boss would give me about 30 projects at the same time. I worked on the #1 priority first and all the time I was doing that task, I was thinking of what I would do with the other 29. Sometimes, I would be working on 3 at the same time. I only had 3 windows. Had I had more than 3 windows, I would have been working on more.

I am sure that Pasha has already been thinking about how to automate the process of entering locations to the database, if he hasn't already started on it.

I am going to continue helping Pasha get YoWindow 3 released. I am just thinking of this temporary process as the 'Bridge from YoWindow 2 to YoWindow 3'.

This is just my opinion.

Marty
ikarus1969

Post by ikarus1969 »

countryroads wrote:Hi Friends,

I think about the questions that both Werner and Reinhart have asked. I like to think that what we are doing to help Pasha out is not a permanent solution. It is an interim or temporary fix so that Pasha can release YoWindow 3 Desktop.

Having been a computer programmer myself, my boss would give me about 30 projects at the same time. I worked on the #1 priority first and all the time I was doing that task, I was thinking of what I would do with the other 29. Sometimes, I would be working on 3 at the same time. I only had 3 windows. Had I had more than 3 windows, I would have been working on more.

I am sure that Pasha has already been thinking about how to automate the process of entering locations to the database, if he hasn't already started on it.

I am going to continue helping Pasha get YoWindow 3 released. I am just thinking of this temporary process as the 'Bridge from YoWindow 2 to YoWindow 3'.

This is just my opinion.

Marty
As Pavel said in this topic a few posts before, a solution for automated location-adding would throw the project back several weeks because of the system-architecture of YoWindow.
So let's say 6 weeks. YoWindow V3 for desktop is planned to be released in February, so let's say around February, 15th. Then add about 6 weeks for implementing automated location-adding - so it will be around end of March.
If, and only if, there will be no more other planned features or developments to YoWindow. So for some other new developments add 1 month.So we will have end of April.

It's too time-consuming for me to check all the things my fellow mods are doing so i'm happy they are out there :) and wait patiently until automated location adding will be implemented (...and as i wrote to Marty in a PM: that location-job goes beyond moderation imho and is going to be more than a temporary solution)
»Man is impressive. In a universe full of untold secrets he has invented boredom.«
hermanz
Name: Herman

Post by hermanz »

Hi friends :good:
It is indeed very laborious to verify all information.
It takes Pasha a lot of work and time out of his hands
I'll send 3 files from all cities in the world. There are really a lot.

The site where it can be downloaded is http://download.geonames.org/export/dump/
Perhaps a solution to automate the database

gr.
Herman :beer:
Attachments
cities15000.zip
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 713 times
cities5000.zip
(2.02 MiB) Downloaded 721 times
cities1000.zip
(4.41 MiB) Downloaded 673 times
(Wheather on an I(phone,pad,pod) or Android, YoWindow what else )