Sunrise/-set

Have an idea?
ikarus1969

Sunrise/-set

Post by ikarus1969 »

Currently the sun rises and sets in a rather smal slot in the center of the window.

What about letting the sun rise at the one side of the window and set on the other side, depending on the setting for wind-direction (facing north or south)?

I came across this because i have the Yahoo!Widgets installed and run the "Sun" widget. This widget shows me a sun rising from the left of my desktop and wandering on my screen to the right until it sets (and disappears) in the afternoon/evening on the right side of my screen.

kind regards,
Attachments
My desktop with the sun-widget
My desktop with the sun-widget
Sun widget small.jpg (184.39 KiB) Viewed 7672 times
»Man is impressive. In a universe full of untold secrets he has invented boredom.«
par
Name: Pasha

Re: Sunrise/-set

Post by par »

This is how horizontal position of the sun is computed in YoWindow.
1. I assume the horizon is 360 degrees wide.
That is the left side is 0 degrees, the center of the landscape is 180 degrees and the right side is 360.
The horizontal angle of the sun is called azimuth.
2. The sun rises at some azimuth and then sets at another azimuth.
In the summer the sunrise is close to 0 and the sunset is close to 360, depending on the day and the place (in north hemisphere).
In the winter sun rise/set occures close to 180 degrees - the center of the picture.

This is the way it works now.
I think this is good because the sun is always different and always visible on the picture when it's above the horizon (unless there are clouds).

I can change this behavior if we need to :)

You can check how the sun behaves during the year with Calendar in YoWindow.

I didn't know about Sun wiget, I have installed it, great idea :)
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image
ikarus1969

Post by ikarus1969 »

par wrote:This is how horizontal position of the sun is computed in YoWindow.
1. I assume the horizon is 360 degrees wide.
But why? In real life you never can watch the whole 360 degrees like a chameleon. For an adult the horizontal viewing angle is only about 180 degrees. There's a russion wikipedia article about it (english wikipedia for all the others). Just take a look on the first paragraph.
par wrote:That is the left side is 0 degrees, the center of the landscape is 180 degrees and the right side is 360.
Regarding to the wikipedia-article the left side would be 0 degrees, the center 90 degrees and the right side 180 degrees.
par wrote:This is the way it works now.
I think this is good because the sun is always different and always visible on the picture when it's above the horizon (unless there are clouds).

I can change this behavior if we need to :)
Currently you have the option to set the direction you are looking (for the wind and rain blowing from the right side).
Following this setting, when you choose to look north you should not see the sun.

Implementing an angle of 180 degrees would imho be a more natural way of observing the sun when you chose to look south (from the left of the window in the morning to the center of the window when the sun culminates to the right when the sun sets in the evening).

So to summarize it: imho the angle should be 180 degrees and the sun should not be visible when you choose to look north to give a more natural way of the weather/landscape
»Man is impressive. In a universe full of untold secrets he has invented boredom.«
par
Name: Pasha

Post by par »

I like the idea of 180 degrees, but it brings with herself a couple of disadvatages.

1. The sun maybe lost even if you look at south.
For example in Saint-Petersburg, where I live, we have white-nights season in the summer. The sun sets for a short amount of time during these days. Whe it goes well behind 180 degrees (east) it is still above the horizon and the viewer expects to see it.

2. The moon is going to be lost if it is not on the sun side.
We want moon visible always if it is above the horizon.
Because the moon looks good in YoWindow and we want a good picture.
Without the moon the picture is not so fun.

We did not want to make YoWindow absolutely real, we wanted to make it fun.
Because of this we want the user to enjoy the sun and the moon if possible.

And I want to stress that the wind-direction option is for advanced users, normally we don't want our users to change it.

Sorry, thanks for your care.

Pasha and Yura
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image
ikarus1969

Post by ikarus1969 »

par wrote:We did not want to make YoWindow absolutely real, we wanted to make it fun.
hmm, ok, i see. Then the program does what it was designed for!