Fit YoWindow into Wordpress sidebar

YoWindow widget Questions, Suggestions and Bugs
ikarus1969

Re: Fit YoWindow into Wordpress sidebar

Post by ikarus1969 »

Mallorca wrote:Reinhart post to you this link http://browsershots.org/ Try it out and you will see how different your blog is shown in the different browsers.
Thanks - that's one of the things we have in common: :wink: (http://he1.yowindow.com/forum/viewtopic ... 104#p34720).
»Man is impressive. In a universe full of untold secrets he has invented boredom.«
FvE
Name: Fred

Post by FvE »

Hi Gary,

Please do let us know what the answer from Wordpress is going to be.
And hopefully of course what the solution will be.
That way more people can benefit from it.

Goodluck and thanks in advance.
Fred
garyguertin

Post by garyguertin »

Fred & Werner, Here's what happened when I went to the Wordpress Forum: Can You believe it I still have scroll bars and the fault is all YoWindow??????
"
justpi
Dec 9, 2012, 8:32 AM

1) To display code correctly here, you need to enclose it in backticks (see note on "Allowed markup").

2) The widget has moved a bit to the left in relation to the regular sidebar content, and the links have moved a bit to the left in relation to the widget, because divs in the theme you're using have a default 9px padding. You need to turn this:
<div style="line-height:0;">
to:
<div style="padding:0;">
and this:
<div style="width:170px;font-size:12px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
to:
<div style="width:170px;font-size:12px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;padding:0;">
You also need to add this at the end, to cancel the wrap around effect of the float left/right span tags:
<div style="clear:both;"></div>

3) These corrections will place the content correctly, but I'm afraid they won't eliminate the scrollbars. I experimented with various dimensions in a post, and it seems that the widget has a minimum width and height below which you get the scrollbars. Minimum seems to be around 250x180. And the scrollbars seem to be browser related: I'm seeing them in Firefox but not in Safari no matter how small I make the widget.

garyguertin
Dec 9, 2012, 6:56 PM

A couple of comments before I do what you suggest, which does not eliminate the scroll bars, which is my problem. I have been on a YoWindow Forum which generated these comments.

1. It's strange you mention the scrollbars are browser related because that was mentioned. I use only IE9, as do most of my friends. We see the scrollbars. I switched to Firefox and did not see the scrollbars, as one user suggested, who had the same experience. The problem comes back in that we are all IE users.

2. Another user suggested that you could not use the 170 width, 150 hight frame border i.e. " frameborder="0" width="170" height="150" with the same dimensions on items within the frame, i.e. "swf&width=170&height=150&#038". That's why I was trying to change the WordPress code.

3. Another user suggested code inserts to eliminate the scrollbars, but it also eliminates the part of the widget under the scrollbars, which does not solve the problem.

I would appreciate your inputs on these comments before I go ahead and make the changes you suggest, especially when I must point out this is only one port, Boca Raton. When I'm on a cruise and posting articles I have to add two or three ports and change them about every other day. We will hit as many as 20 ports on a cruise, meaning I would have to alter the code as you suggest 20 times and still have scrollbars???????? Let's look close at the browser problem and see if there is permanent code to make it work on all browsers without scroll bars, like it does for us on Firefox. Thanks for your support, Gary

justpi
Dec 9, 2012, 10:46 PM

You're welcome.

First of all I think you should know that I'm not just another volunteer here when it comes to these matters. The creator of the widget incorporated the gigya shortcode in his site thanks to these posts of mine:
http://wpbtips.wordpress.com/2010/07/22 ... 3-widgets/
http://wpbtips.wordpress.com/2010/09/16 ... 5-weather/

"I would have to alter the code as you suggest 20 times"?
You don't have to alter the whole code all the time: you can add my suggestions once, then change only the location ID and name.
"I switched to Firefox and did not see the scrollbars."
In case you're wondering why I do see them, I'm Mac user so I'm not using the same version of Firefox.
"Another user suggested that you could not use […] the same dimensions […]"
That's how the shortcode always translates. If that user's suggestion was correct, there would be scrollbars no matter what the size or the widget, but I'm not seeing any scrollbars in my 280x194 version of the widget - or in the other widget posts I've published:
http://wpbtips.wordpress.com/list-of-posts/4/
"That's why I was trying to change the WordPress code."
You can't.
And you can't change how browsers work either. So, unless I'm missing something, and unless the creator of the widget changes its design, the only things you can do is switch to a theme with a wider sidebar or use a different weather widget.

You must log in to post.

About this Topic
Started 1 week ago by garyguertin
This topic has 6 posts
2 posters
Latest reply from justpi
This topic is not resolved
RSS feed for this topic

Tags

Eliminate Scroll Bars
gigya shortcode
Iframe
sidebar
countryroads
Name: Marty

Post by countryroads »

Hi Gary,

I do not use Wordpress, but Franco (one of the other Moderators) does.
Franco (username portaleazzurro) has this website. http://portaleazzurro.wordpress.com/

I have looked at his website for the past 2 years. His YoWindow Widget and the World Clock have never had scroll bars until now. That tells me that Wordpress has changed something.

If you can, find out what Wordpress has changed and let us know.

Thank you in advance.

Marty