Fit YoWindow into Wordpress sidebar

YoWindow widget Questions, Suggestions and Bugs
garyguertin

Re: Fit YoWindow into Wordpress sidebar

Post by garyguertin »

Fred, thanks for the comment but I don't see the code you are referring to. I'll show you Buenos Aires, all the codes being the same except for location data. This is the Wordpress code as taken from the YoWindow site (I believe I took it correctly.

Here's the code I'm using. This code is for Buenos Aires, Argentina weather (taken from my Blog's edit widget page):

Code: Select all

<div style="line-height:0;">[gigya src="http://swf.yowindow.com/yowidget3.swf" width="170" height="150" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="opaque" bgcolor ="#FFFFFF" flashvars="location_id=gn:3435910&location_name=Buenos%20Aires&time_format=12&unit_system=us&background=#FFFFFF&copyright_bar=false"]<div style="width:170px;font-size:12px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"><span style="float:left;"><a target="_top" href="http://yowindow.com/weatherwidget?client=widget&link=copyright" style="color:#2fa900;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;" title="Weather gadget">YoWindow.com</a></span><span style="float:right;color:#888888;"><a href="http://yr.no" style="color:#2fa900;text-decoration:none;">yr.no</a></span></div></div>
Can you tell me what looks wrong, or what I have to change to eliminate the scroll bars?

And Werner, the blog has a long scroll because I just pile one cruise (which average about 24 to 28 posts per cruise) on top of the next. One of these days I need to organize it so you see only the current or last cruise and have an index in the sidebar to pull up previous cruises (on my to do list).

Thank You very much for your comments., Gary
FvE
Name: Fred

Post by FvE »

Hi Gary,

I took the code straight from your blog.
I did notice a little difference between the code on your blog and the one being generated by YoWindow.
Unfortunately I don't know why this happens, but I think I've read something about this earlier from someone who uses Wordpress.

I hope you are able to try and change the code on your blogsite directly.
If not, have you tried to make a clean start, clearing all widgets and generate them once again from the YoWindow site?

Here's a screenshot from the code on your blog:
Boca Raton Gary.jpg
Thanks.
Fred
garyguertin

Post by garyguertin »

Fred, first I want to thank you for the comments on my blog. It's a great pleasure to share my and my wife's cruises with our family and friends. since most of our friends are about my age I try to make the viewing of the site as easy as possible. Simple, clear, and easy to view, that's why I'm trying to get rid of those scroll bars.

Now, I deleted all the weather widgets, went back to YoWindow and cut and pasted the Boca Raton code into a new "Text" widget on my blog (using the administration page, which requires a id and password). This is the code YoWindow gave me:

Code: Select all

<div style="line-height:0;">[gigya src="http://swf.yowindow.com/yowidget3.swf" width="170" height="150" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="opaque" bgcolor ="#FFFFFF" flashvars="location_id=gn:4148411&location_name=Boca%20Raton&time_format=12&unit_system=us&background=#FFFFFF&copyright_bar=false"]<div style="width: 170px;font-size: 12px; font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;"><span style="float:left;"><a target="_top" href="http://yowindow.com/weatherwidget?client=widget&link=copyright" style="color: #2fa900; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:none;" title="Weather gadget">YoWindow.com</a></span><span style="float:right; color:#888888;"><a href="http://www.weather.gov" style="color: #2fa900; text-decoration:none;">NWS</a></span></div></div>
This does not compare at all to the code you are showing me (with the red and green text). By the way, as you can see if you go to the site, I still have scroll bars using IE.
What do we do next?
Thanks for you help, Gary
garyguertin

Post by garyguertin »

P.S. Fred, I can edit the code on my blog administrative page if I know what to change or insert.
Gary
FvE

Post by FvE »

Hi Gary,

If I'm not mistaken Wordpress adds some code to the code generated bij YoWindow.
I think that's why you have to put it in a textbox.

The screenshot I made looks different from the code from YoWindow, because it comes direcly from Wordpress.
It's the sourcecode from your blog direcly.

Can you please try to change the size of the iframe that's added by Wordpress?
(The one I've put in red on my first answer).

Thanks.
Fred
garyguertin

Post by garyguertin »

Fred,
Sorry if I don't understand where you got the source code you say you got from my blog on Wordpress and want me to change. The only source code I know of and am able to see in my "management page" is the one I showed you before, the same code that is cut and pasted from YoWindow. When I go in to edit that widget on Wordpress it only shows me the code I put in in the first place (the one I copied from YoWindow). If there's some place else where I can get the Wordpress "source code" please tell me where and how to get it.
Sorry again to be a little dense but this one I can't follow.
Again, thanks for your support,
Gary
garyguertin

Post by garyguertin »

Fred,
Again, forgive me, I found where you are. I right clicked on the widget and a menu with "view source" came up. By clicking on that I got the entire source code and scrolling to line 632 I found what you referenced. When I tried to change any of the numbers it stopped me (would not let me make changes). I hit edit and the pull down menu was copy, find, go to, select all. None of these let me change either the red or green (by the way, the frame of 170, 150 seems to be the right size, so I would change what's inside to 160, 140, if I could do it). Don't know where to go from here. I was in my management section (signed in and able to edit blog) when I attempted to change the source code.
Gary
FvE

Post by FvE »

Hi Gary,

That's really a pity.
When I looked into your problem I copied a part of your source code to an empty HTML-page.
I saw the scrollbars (with IE).
I played around with the width and height sizes and saw that as long as the Widget sizes could 'fit' into the iFrame sizes everything looked okay (= no scrollbars).
But here stops my 'knowledge' immediately.

I can only ask if there's someone else who could help here.
I'm so sorry I can't help you any further.

Fred
Mallorca
Name: Werner Heidotting

Post by Mallorca »

Hi Gary,

I wrote some posts in the past my solution for your "problem".
Since many years my profession is webdesign and I work with Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla and so on and NEVER I get the same look with the different browsers. Belive it, it is not possible because IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari and the smaller ones are don't work with the same standards (only on a small base).
If you are interested to this problem read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid3

Reinhart post to you this link http://browsershots.org/ Try it out and you will see how different your blog is shown in the different browsers.
So my answer is: you will NEVER get a solution for your unliked scroll bars.

Sorry, but this is reality :cry:
Werner
garyguertin

Post by garyguertin »

Fred and Werner.
Thank You for your inputs. I have placed the problem on the Wordpress Support Form and they say it must be something I am doing wrong in the code that comes from YoWindow. I have passed them the code and they are going to look at it and tell me what's wrong.
Again, Thanks very much for your help, if I get a solution from Wordpress let me know if you would like to know, otherwise I'll end this inquiry here at YoWindow.