No update from internet on Windows 8.1

YoWindow related topics that do not fit in the above forums
Harry Hayfield
Name: Harry Hayfield

No update from internet on Windows 8.1

Post by Harry Hayfield »

Ever since I was told to update to Windows 8.1 by Microsoft NOTHING that connects to the Internet to get it's data works (including YoWindow). Other programmes that I have encountered this problem with include Tweetdeck, WeatherBug and Digsby. I have done nothing to my settings bar update to Windows 8.1. Am I the only person suffering or is that some form of bar between desktop only programmes and applications in Windows 8.1?

Running: YoWindows 3S (2014) Unlimited Edition, Windows 8.1 (updated 24 hours ago) on a Compaq AMD E1-1200 APU 1.40GHz computer
Harry Hayfield

Re: No update from internet on Windows 8.1

Post by Harry Hayfield »

Harry Hayfield wrote:Ever since I was told to update to Windows 8.1 by Microsoft NOTHING that connects to the Internet to get it's data works (including YoWindow). Other programmes that I have encountered this problem with include Tweetdeck, WeatherBug and Digsby. I have done nothing to my settings bar update to Windows 8.1. Am I the only person suffering or is that some form of bar between desktop only programmes and applications in Windows 8.1?

Running: YoWindows 3S (2014) Unlimited Edition, Windows 8.1 (updated 24 hours ago) on a Compaq AMD E1-1200 APU 1.40GHz computer
Seeking an update on this question after waiting patiently for the last five months
ikarus1969

Post by ikarus1969 »

Hi Harry!

First: you are a very patient user - i want to thank you on that :good: ; and that's the good thing.

The not so good thing: i'm also running YoWindow on a Win 8.1 computer and don't encounter a problem like that.

Could you try to download an install the release candidate please? (The link to the left points to the Link here on the forum on top of the page ("YoWindow BETA b171" at the moment).
I know "release candidate" sounds like it may be unstable but from my experience it's very stable and i use it regularly.
»Man is impressive. In a universe full of untold secrets he has invented boredom.«
Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield »

So clearly therefore (as that version is also not updating) there must be a problem with my computer not being able to get internet updates from any programme that accesses the Internet using anything lower than IE10 on Windows 8.1 (which is one of the reasons I detest Windows 8 which I got bumped to whilst being perfectly happy with Windows 7). Although I have downloaded the Android version onto my phone (but it's not the same as having it on my computer all the time (especially with this new history function as well)
Wally©
Name: Walter

Post by Wally© »

Harry...

could you check your firewall settings to make sure YoWindow has complete and full access to the internet..?
Wally©...

(Ignorance can easily be overcome...Stupidity is 4ever...)
Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield »

Sorry, even allowing YoWindow direct access via the list of programmes that can directly access the internet doesn't allow it to update. As I mentioned in my orginal post it's the latest in a long line of programme that do not seem to like connecting to the internet via anything lower than IE10.
Wally©

Post by Wally© »

Let's do some troubleshooting...

1. Close YoWindow completely..
2. Remove YoWindow from your allowed list in your firewall..
3. Run YoWindow...
4. A pop-up from your firewall should ask you whether to give YoWindow access to the internet...
5. Allow it at all times (if this option is available)

If these steps don't work-out try disabling your firewall temporarily and run YoWindow again...

Please also check if you have administrator rights on your pc...
Wally©...

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield »

Wally© wrote:Let's do some troubleshooting...
4. A pop-up from your firewall should ask you whether to give YoWindow access to the internet...
If these steps don't work-out try disabling your firewall temporarily and run YoWindow again...
Please also check if you have administrator rights on your pc...
I do, but no joy with either method
Wally©

Post by Wally© »

Ok...

Could you try & run YoWindow in another compatibility mode..?

Try Windows 8...7...or even XP...

Rightclick the icon on your desktop...choose the properties and then the compatibility tab...
Wally©...

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield »

Nope, I think it is down to nothing more than the fact that something has happened with Windows 8.1 that means unless the website that hosts the information can run via IE10, Windows 8.1 wants nothing to do with it whatsoever (in other words, it's another Windows 8 bug that will probably not get resolved by Windows 8.2 meaning that Microsoft will then have to launch Windows 9 as a upgrade to Windows 7 and revert back to how Windows 7 worked)